The Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum - Exclusive Guided Tour
The 2 hour exclusive guided museum tour will introduce you to the history of flight in the United States that eventually landed a man on the moon. Take one giant leap into the unique collection at the National Air and Space Museum, covering the United States’ world famous space program.
Highlights generally include (as long as not on loan or being restored):
-1903 Wright Flyer
-1909 Wright Military Flyer
-Spirit of St. Louis
-Jackie Cochran T-38 Talon
-Alan Shepard space suit
-Freedom 7 capsule
-Neil Armstrong space suit
-Apollo 11 Columbia capsule
-Filming model of Star Trek Enterprise
-Filming model of Star Wars X-Wing
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Get inside tips from a local
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: National Air and Space Museum, Independence Ave SW 600 Independence Ave SW, Washington DC, DC 20560
(PLEASE NOTE: The Air & Space museum is currently under massive construction and will remain as such for multiple years. This means that Many of the exhibits we describe may NOT be on display. We adjust our tour based on the changing stages of this renovation, and the exhibits that are available to us. here is a link for their website if you would like an updated list of what you may see during your visit: https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/now-view
Thank you for understanding.)
The National Air and Space Museum doesn’t just cover extraterrestrial exploration. It covers everything from the early history of flight to the Space Race and moon landings. You’ll see the first plane to take flight as well as the Spirit of St. Louis, the first plane to cross the Atlantic. Discuss Amelia Earhart, the iconic female pilot who famously disappeared while trying to fly around the world. Check out Hubble space suits, and lunar modules while learning all about NASA and the United States’ space program. The two story back ups for the Hubble telescope and the early space station Skylab dominate your field of vision and since the originals stayed in space, this is the best way to get up close and personal! Find out what it's like to be an astronaut today with one of our expert guides – there’s even freeze dried ice cream in the gift shop to get the full experience. Discover the history of the world’s foremost space program and the technology and innovation that made it possible to land a man on the moon.
— Wright Flyer (original)
— Neil Armstrong Apollo 11 spacesuit (original)
— Lunar Module (backup)
— John Glenn’s Mercury capsule (original)
— Charles Lindbergh’s Spirit of St. Louis (original)
— Chuck Yeager’s Bell X-1 (original)
— Hubble Telescope (test vehicle)
— Skylab, America’s 1st space station (backup)
— Space Shuttle’s mid deck (model)
Duration: 2 hours
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 2 hours (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Guided Museum Tour
- Tour Guide Exclusively For You (Does NOT apply if you choose "SAVE! BOOK SEMI-PRIVATE" option)
- Duration 2 Hours
- Wheelchair Friendly (Does NOT apply if you choose "SAVE! BOOK SEMI-PRIVATE" option)
- Tour price does NOT include hotel pickup or drop-off (we recommend UBER or Taxi)
- Tour price does NOT include gratuities (optional)
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- It is imperative that you provide us with guests MOBILE PHONE NUMBER (including country code)
- Notes: (PLEASE NOTE: The Air & Space museum is currently under massive construction and will remain as such for multiple years. This means that Many of the exhibits we describe may NOT be on display. We adjust our tour based on the changing stages of this renovation, and the exhibits that are available to us. here is a link for there website if you would like an updated list of what you may see during your visit: https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/now-view Thank you for understanding.) Appropriate dress is required for entry into some sites on this tour. No large bags or suitcases are allowed inside the museum, only handbags or small thin bag packs are allowed through security. Due to increased security measures at many attractions some lines may form on tours with 'Skip the Line' or 'No Wait' access. Some specific rooms inside the museum are subjected to a very quiet or restricted right to speak inside, in this cases your guide will provide the information about this places before entering the specific rooms where this rule applies. Some collections may vary along the year.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
Average 4.75 out of 5 stars based on 12 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Terry was our guide. He was very knowledgeable. It was very enjoyable to have someone as intimately familiar with the museum as he was. Also able to steer us to exhibits before the crowds got there and generally made our experience much more enjoyable! Would definitely recommend this!
The absolute best way to see this Museum. Our guide here was Doug and he was outstanding. His knowledge was vast and he was able to direct us through in a timely manner. IF you have limit time in the city and want to visit this Museum I highly recommend this tour and Doug as a guide.
This tour was a highlight for me, as I have always wanted to visit the Smithsonian.
Our tour guild was very very good, she seamed to know everything about everything.
I could have spent much much more time at the Smithsonian, but alas we needed to move on
I was able to see up close the model of the USS Enterprise used in the original Star Trek series...very cool
Very well informed on this subject. Took time with us and was quite courteous.
Outstanding experience. Tour guide was very knowledge in all aspects and provided more information than can be retained. Answers all questions. Super tour.
The tour was great and Matilda was the best guide! We were very lucky to have her as she was super knowledgeable and customized the tour to our interests!
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities