Monterey & Carmel Explorer
This tour traverses the breathtaking sceny on the famous Pacific Coast Highway. Opon arriving in historic Monterey, you will have time to explore the fascinating sea creatures at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (entrance not included) and stroll among the shops on Cannery Row. The tour will follow the coast through the beautiful little town of Pacific Grove on the way to the 17 Mile Drive. The drive finishes up at the enchanted town of Carmel-by-the-Sea where you’ll can explore the boutique shops on Ocean Avenue or be dazzled by the white sandy beach. When there is interest, we will also visit the historic Carmel Mission.
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Likely to Sell Out
- Small-group tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Pigeon Point Lighthouse, CA-1, Pescadero, CA 94060, USA
Pigeon Point Light Station or Pigeon Point Lighthouse is a lighthouse built in 1871 to guide ships on the Pacific coast of California. It is the tallest lighthouse on the West Coast of the United States.
Stop At: Whale City Bakery, 490 CA-1, Davenport, CA 95017, USA
Brief breakfast stop. Relaxed roadside cafe whipping up homestyle American fare morning til night, with live music shows.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Pacific Coast Highway, 147161, CA
The Pacific Coast Highway is a section of State Route 1 (SR 1), a major north–south state highway that runs along most of the Pacific coastline of the U.S. state of California. At a total of just over 659 miles (1,061 km), SR 1 is the longest state route in California.
Stop At: Monterey Bay, Monterey, CA
Monterey Bay is a bay of the Pacific Ocean located on the coast of the U.S. state of California.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Monterey Bay Aquarium, 886 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA 93940-1085
Admission only included if option added upon checkout. Monterey Bay Aquarium is a nonprofit public aquarium in Monterey, California. Known for its regional focus on the marine habitats of Monterey Bay, it was the first to exhibit a living kelp forest when it opened in October 1984.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Cannery Row & Wave Streets, Monterey, CA 93940
Cannery Row is the waterfront street in the New Monterey section of Monterey, California. It is the site of a number of now-defunct sardine canning factories. The last cannery closed in 1973. Today it has many restaurants and hotels, several of which are located in former cannery buildings, and a few historic attractions. Some privately owned fishing companies still exist on Cannery Row, housed on piers located a short distance from the historic district frequented by tourists.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Pacific Grove Oceanview Boulevard, Pacific Grove Oceanview Blvd., Pacific Grove, CA
Pacific Grove is a coastal city in Monterey County, California in the United States. The United States Census Bureau estimated its 2013 population at 15,504. Pacific Grove is located between Point Pinos and Monterey, and known for its Monarch butterflies and turn-of-the century Victorian homes.
Stop At: 17-Mile Drive, Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove, Monterey, CA 93953
Although the route has changed since it opened in 1881, 17-Mile Drive is still exactly 17 miles long. More than 1.5 million visitors pass through 17-Mile Drive every year. Iconic Landmarks along famous 17-Mile Drive include The Lone Cypress, as well as Spanish Bay and Pebble Beach Golf Links.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Pass By: Spyglass Hill Golf Course, 3206 Stevenson Dr, Pebble Beach, CA 93953-3213
Spyglass Hill Golf Course in Pebble Beach is one of the most respected and revered courses in the world, annually co-hosting the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am.
Pass By: Pebble Beach Golf Links, 1700 17-Mile Drive, Pebble Beach, CA 93953
Pebble Beach Golf Links is a public golf course on the west coast of the United States, located in Pebble Beach, California.
Stop At: Lone Cypress, Pebble Beach, CA 93953
The Lone Cypress is a Monterey cypress tree in Pebble Beach, California. Standing on a granite hillside off the 17-Mile Drive, the tree is a Western icon, and has been called one of the most photographed trees in North America.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Carmel by the sea, San Antonio Ave, Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA 93923, USA
Carmel-by-the-Sea is a small beach city on California's Monterey Peninsula. It's known for the museums and library of the historic Carmel Mission, and the fairytale cottages and galleries of its village-like center. The Scenic Bluff Path runs from surf spot Carmel Beach to bird-rich Carmel River State Beach, with a scuba entry point. South lie the sea animals and whaling museum of Point Lobos State Natural Reserve.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Bird Rock Vista Point, Bird Rock Rd, Pebble Beach, CA
Bird Rock Vista is stop #7 on 17-Mile Drive and a wildlife hot spot.
Pass By: Carmel Beach Boardwalk, Ocean Ave & San Antonio Ave, Carmel, CA
Beautiful white sandy beaches.
Pass By: China Rock, 17 Mile Drive Stop Number 6, Pebble Beach, CA
One of the points on 17-Mile Drive.
Stop At: Cypress Point Lookout, 17 Mile Drive Stop Number 10, Pebble Beach, CA
Stop #10 on 17-Mile Drive is the wonderful Cypress Point Lookout which looks out, to the southwest, over a small, white sand beach making for an excellent sunset spot.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Half Moon Bay Coastside Trail, Half Moon Bay, CA
A mere 45-minute drive from San Francisco lies Half Moon Bay, an idyllic enclave and truly the perfect place to spend some time away from the big city.
Pass By: The Links at Spanish Bay, 2700 17 Mile Dr, Pebble Beach, CA 93953-2668
One of the many beautiful golf courses along 17-Mile Drive in Pebble Beach.
Pass By: Lovers Point, Ocean View Blvd. at 17th Street, Pacific Grove, CA 93950
Lovers Point State Marine Reserve is one of four small marine protected areas located near the cities of Monterey and Pacific Grove, at the southern end of Monterey Bay on California’s central coast.
Pass By: Monterey Visitor Center, 401 Camino El Estero, Monterey, CA 93940-3059
Tourist information center in Monterey, California.
Pass By: Seal Rock Creek beach, 3105 17 Mile Dr Stop Number 8, Pebble Beach, CA 93953-3605
Seal Rock Creek Beach is a small sandy beach along the 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach, CA. This white sand beach is at the mouth of Seal Rock Creek which flows intermittently. Just offshore is Seal Rock and a little to the north is Bird Rock.
Pass By: Sunset Point Overlook, Pebble Beach, CA 93953, USA
Vista point in Del Monte Forest, California.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Hilton San Francisco Union Square, 333 O'Farrell St, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
Traveler pickup is offered
Pickup is offered from most hotels, but not all. For hotel pickups, if your hotel is not listed, please select the Hilton Union Square at 333 O'Farrell Street (the meeting point is outside the Mason Street entrance). Pickups range from 7:30am - 8:30am Pacific. Please contact the tour operator before your tour date to reconfirm your pickup time and location.
- Duration: 11 to 12 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 8:00 AM
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Expert guide and commentary
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (most hotels in downtown San Francisco/Fisherman's Wharf area, but do not pick up outside SF city limits)
- Free Wifi on vehicle
- Entry/Admission - 17-Mile Drive
- Child safety seat for children under 8 years old or 4' 9" (1.4 meters) required
- Lunch - Meals are not included but available for purchase throughout the day.
- Entry/Admission - Monterey Bay Aquarium
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- California law requires tour guests to bring a car safety seat for all children under 8 years and under 4' 9" (1.4 meters) in height. Any guest that does not provide their child's safety seat at the time of the tour and does not inform the tour operator in advance may not be allowed to board the tour and will not be subject to refund.
- For hotel pickups, please select the Hilton Union Square - 333 O'Farrell Street (Mason Street entrance) if your hotel is not listed
- Minimum of 5 passengers needed for tour to run. There is a possibility of cancellation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Exact destinations & itinerary may differ due to weather, road conditions, and the guide's discretion.
- Most travelers can participate
- Meals are not included but available for purchase throughout the day.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- * Nightly deep cleaning and disinfecting fogging by certified crew
- * Tour vehicles operating at below their capacity so we can grant passenger requests for empty adjacent seats
Average 3.79 out of 5 stars based on 19 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Great Scenery all along the way! Ocean views were amazing! Monterey Cannery Row was great for lunch and shopping. Carmel is such a quaint, lovely town to take a stroll, while enjoying the shops and eateries.
Picked up on time. Vehicle just fairly comfortable, no garbage bag or cup holders.
Driver knowledgeable and helpful. Scenery magnificent.
It was short trip about at least 2 hours less than other tour operators. The tour quality was good and the overall experience was nice. The tour driver was friendly and Monterey and Carmel were must visit places in N. California.
Frankie the tour guide was great but the van was uncomfortable
Worth doing it but we did not see the bridge as shown in the tour picture.
A thoroughly enjoyable day. Our driver/guide was full of knowledge and kept us continually updated with information. And his choice of music certainly added to the experience.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Cool San Francisco specialist!
Product code: COOL-2402MONTCAR
Similar Tours & Activities