New Orleans Swamp and Bayou Boat Tour (Self Transport)
Take a short drive from New Orleans to visit Honey Island Swamp, a wildlife preserve that is one of the last protected wetlands in Louisiana, during a 2-hour boat tour. Visit a Cajun village only accessible by boat; learn about the animals and plants in the lush swamps; and get close to wildlife with an expert local guide. This tour does not include transportation.
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Get up-close to native wildlife
- Ideal choice for families
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans, LA
From New Orleans, take a short drive to Slidell and you'll reach Lake Pontchartrain and the Honey Island Swamp, a wildlife preserve that is one of the last protected wetlands in Louisiana.
Your guide welcomes you aboard a custom-made 22-passenger flat-bottom boat. The smaller sized, quiet boat can fit through narrow passages in the swamp foliage so that you see more and get closer to wildlife. It’s the ideal way to take in the lush environment of Cajun country.
As your guide explains the history of Louisiana’s wetlands and swamp ecosystem, be on the lookout for resident wildlife including alligators, raccoons, owls, wild boar, nutria, snakes, turtles, black bears, bald eagles and many other bird species. Get a close look at some wild gators as your guide shares facts about the toothy beasts, who can weigh up to 1,000 pounds (453 kg). Their ancestors once roamed the earth with the dinosaurs and scientists estimate that they have existed for more than 150 million years.
Glide safely through the fertile swamplands, learning about Cajun culture and how local people have utilized the swamp for food, homes, and medicine from your guide. You even see an authentic Cajun village that is only accessible by boat. Gain an understanding of why the wetlands are slowly disappearing and about the efforts being made to preserve Louisiana's natural treasures.
After a fascinating 2-hour boat tour on Honey Island Swamp, your guide returns you to shore. You can then make your own way to your next destination.
Duration: 2 hours
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: 55345 US-90, Slidell, LA 70461, USA
- Duration: 2 hours (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Professional guide
- Live commentary on board
- Food and drinks
- Transportation is NOT included
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 22 travelers
Average 4.67 out of 5 stars based on 138 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor.
Please don't hesitate to reach out to us and we'll always be happy to assist you with any of your future travel plans.
Thanks a lot for booking your tour on Cool Destinations.
We really enjoyed the swamp tour. We saw several alligators, raccoons, and wild pigs. Lots of fun. Remember wear long-sleeve to protect yourself from mosquitoes. Highly recommend to anyone.
Tour guide was very knowledgeable of the swamp and surrounding area. Highly recommended as there were lots of close up photo shots.
The two hour tour was insightful and great. The tour guide explained many interesting things and pointed out many animals.
The tour was amazing. Our tour guide was very informative and fun, I definitely recommend this tour to friends. If you go to Nola, you HAVE to come here!
The tour was fantastic. It mixed between fast and slow speed. The boat captain is knowledgeable and fun. Maybe we were not that lucky. We encountered only small alligators. However, we could learn so much about swamp life during the tour. Children are required to wear life vests and this could be very hot due to high humidity. It will be better if the boat equips a few ring buoys.
Captain Emmett was funny and knowledgeable. During the tour, we encountered not only alligators but also raccoons and pigs. We learned a lot about ecosystems at the swamp.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-6953SWAMP
Similar Tours & Activities