Civil War Tour with Lotz House, Carter House & Carnton Admission from Nashville
Get an inside look at the bloodiest hours of the American Civil War on this tour from Nashville to Franklin, the site of the famous Battle of Franklin in 1864. Learn from your knowledgeable guide about the war’s dark history as you visit the Carter House and Lotz House, which still bear bullet holes and blood stains. You’ll also tour the Carnton and learn about its role during and after the war, when it became the country's largest private Confederate cemetery.
Stop At: Gray Line Tours, Nashville, Tennessee 37201
You’ll be picked up from your Nashville hotel in the morning and taken by comfortable coach to Franklin, a nearby city that played a key role in the American Civil War.
Visit sites near where the Union and Confederate armies fought and hear stories from your knowledgeable guide about the Battle of Franklin, fought on November 30, 1864 and known by many as the five bloodiest hours of the Civil War.
Duration: 7 hours
Stop At: Carter House, 1140 Columbia Ave, Franklin, Tennessee 37064
Stop by the Carter House, located at the center of the Union position during the battle. The house and its outer buildings still show hundreds of bullet holes.
Stop At: Carnton, 1345 Eastern Flank Cir, Franklin, Tennessee 37064
Next, enjoy free time in the quaint town of Franklin to shop, eat (own expense) and view other historic sites. You will then journey to the Carnton Plantation, ordered to be a Confederate field hospital by a Southern General and then made an eternal memorial to the Confederate soldiers by the mistress of the house.
Now, the plantation is home to the largest private Confederate cemetery in the US. Tour the plantation with your guide and hear narrative descriptions about that fateful battle and the aftermath of the war. After your tour, you’ll be taken back to your Nashville hotel.
Stop At: Lotz House Museum, 1111 Columbia Ave, Franklin, Tennessee 37064
At the Lotz House, which became a hospital after the battle, see cannon ball holes and bloodstains on the floors and walls, which bear witness to the savage nature of this horrific conflict. After touring these houses, you will be able to imagine how the residents of Franklin felt when they emerged from their homes on the morning after the battle to find more than 9,500 casualties.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 7 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 09:00 AM
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Round-Trip Transportation from Nashville Aboard Air-Conditioned Shuttle
- Admission to Carnton Plantation
- Admission to Lotz House
- Learn about The Battle of Franklin and how it included the bloodiest hours of the Civil War
- Admission to Carter House
- Spend time in the quaint historic town of Franklin to shop, eat, and view historic sites on your own
- Visit 3 historical homes located in the town of Franklin, TN
- 7-Hour Guided Civil War & History Day Tour from Nashville
- Gratuities (Optional)
- Lunch (Lunch is on your own in downtown Franklin)
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infants and small children can ride in a pram or stroller
- Service animals allowed
- Public transportation options are available nearby
- Suitable for all physical fitness levels
- Lunch on your own in downtown Franklin.
- Accessibility: ADA-compliant vehicles are available for most tours if you provide us with a 48-hour notice. After scheduling your tour, please contact our Dispatch Office to confirm availability.
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This tour requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Average 4.73 out of 5 stars based on 300 traveler reviews collected by Cool Destinations and partner sites such as Trustpilot, Viator, and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities
Travelers Who Bought This Tour Also Bought