Experience Cajun Country: Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations Full-Day Tour from New Orleans
A grand mélange presentation of Cajun and Creole cultures starting with a boat tour of the cypress swamps. Enjoy a traditional lunch at one of the oldest Plantations in the south, Oak Alley Plantation, followed by a guided tour of this grand mansion. Later in the afternoon visit Laura, a Creole Plantation and her historic slave quarters surrounded by sugar cane fields. The small-group atmosphere with maximum 13 people ensures a more personal experience.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mississippi River, LA
You'll start your day driving out to Cajun Country, where you'll go through wild cypress swamps, over the Mississippi River on an impressive suspended bridge, and along vast sugarcane fields, as the guide tells a unique story of the odyssey of the Cajun people.
Next you'll take a narrated boat tour (about 1.5 hours) on winding bayous in remote cypress swamps. Your Cajun guide, also an alligator hunter and fur trapper, will share his knowledge of the swamp including reptile habits, healing plants and exotic birds. After this peaceful ride, explore his picturesque swamp zoo on Bayou Boeuf. Upgrade to the High-Speed Airboat option instead of the swamp boat, to experience a thrilling ride as you comfortably glide over marshes and into deep, secluded bayous.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Oak Alley Plantation, 3645 Highway 18, Vacherie, LA 70090-7079
A delicious lunch is included at Oak Alley Plantation's Cajun restaurant with a chance to experience traditional cuisine of this region. After lunch be prepared for a pilgrimage back in time. From the River Road you will see and hear all about Whitney, Josephine, and Evergreen Plantations. A guided tour of Oak Alley Plantation to admire this jewel of Greek Revival architecture. Free time to walk under a spectacular canopy of 28 giant live oaks.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Laura Plantation: Louisiana's Creole Heritage Site, 2247 Highway 18, Vacherie, LA 70090-5409
Next visit Laura, a Creole Plantation and her historic slave quarters surrounded by sugar cane fields. The guided tour transports you with dramatic detail into the charmed yet tragic lives of four generations of Creole owners and their slaves.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Traveler pickup is offered
Must be centrally located, contact local supplier to confirm pick up point. Supplier will contact you to give an exact pick up time the day before your tour.
- Duration: 9 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 8:00 AM
- Return Details: Tour returns to the original departure point
- Roundtrip transportation with professional guide
- Transport by 14-passenger air-conditioned high roof van with guide giving live narration
- Cajun Country Tour
- Narrated swamp pontoon covered boat or fast and fun airboat tour
- Cajun Lunch at Oak Alley Plantation
- Guided tour of Oak Alley Plantation
- Guided tour of Laura Plantation
- Hotel pickup
- Entry/Admission - Oak Alley Plantation
- Entry/Admission - Laura Plantation: Louisiana's Creole Heritage Site
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Service animals are permitted. Please advise at time of booking to arrange accommodations
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking in the special requirements field
- Tour operates in all weather conditions. Umbrellas and rain ponchos are available for use if guests forget their own. If a tour cannot operate due to inclement weather you will be notified
- Due to the nature of the airboat, children under the age of 5, pregnant women, people with back or neck issues or recent surgeries are not allowed to participate in the airboat portion of the tour.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Our tour vans are thoroughly cleaned after each tour, all door handles and interior surfaces wiped down with alcohol-based disinfectant daily. Our driver-guides wear masks and disposable masks are provided to guests upon request.
Average 4.67 out of 5 stars based on 786 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor.
It was a wonderfull day and the guide EXCELLENT! Interesting history of this places. I learned more about the PLANTATION.
Great and well organised tour. We had a ball on the airboat, saw lots of gators, a grand lunch tours of two plantations and learnt much from, gisele, the licenced professional tour guide, a must.
It was our first time visiting New Orleans and we are so glad we did this tour! It gave us the chance to see some other places outside of the city. Our tour guide Joseph was great! He was very knowledgeable and provided us with a lot of really interesting facts about the city and its history. He was very accommodating and dropped us off close to our airbnb. We got to see many gators on the swamp tour. It was really cool to see 2 different plantations as each had their own charm. Oak Alley plantation was beautiful. They provided a really good lunch with traditional Louisiana cuisine. The next plantation we went to, the Laura plantation, is probably not one we would have picked from the pictures, but we were so glad to have the opportunity to go there. This ended up being our favorite stop of the day. The tour guide told the story of the plantation in a really creative way. I would definitely recommend this tour!!
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-2292GRAND