Experience Cajun Country: Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations Full-Day Tour from New Orleans
A grand mélange presentation of Cajun and Creole cultures starting with a boat tour of the cypress swamps. Visit Laura Plantation, built in 1804, and learn about Laura's personal family saga. Enjoy a traditional lunch in the elegant dining room of Houmas House Plantation, followed by a guided tour of this grand mansion. The small-group atmosphere ensures a more personal experience.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Bayou Segnette State Park, 7777 Westbank Expy, Westwego, LA 70094-4166
You'll start your day driving out to Cajun Country, where you'll go through wild cypress swamps, over the Mississippi River on an impressive suspended bridge, and along vast sugarcane fields, as the guide tells a unique story of the odyssey of the Cajun people.
Next you'll take a narrated boat tour (about 1.5 hours) on winding bayous in remote cypress swamps. Your Cajun guide, also an alligator hunter and fur trapper, will share his knowledge of the swamp including reptile habits, healing plants and exotic birds. After this peaceful ride, explore his picturesque swamp zoo on Bayou Boeuf. Upgrade to the High-Speed Airboat option instead of the swamp boat, to experience a thrilling ride as you comfortably glide over marshes and into deep, secluded bayous.
Stop At: Laura: Louisiana's Creole Heritage Site, 2247 Highway 18, Vacherie, LA 70090-5409
Discover Laura, an 1804 Creole Plantation and learn about Laura's personal family saga. See how the West-African enslaved's work influenced all segments of the Creole culture, best seen today in cuisine, music, family-centered traditions, architecture and life-style. At Laura's Slavery Museum Exhibit, hear personal stories of individual men, women and children who lived there, illustrating how the lives of the enslaved, both Créole and American, were intertwined with those of their owners.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Houmas House Plantation and Gardens, 40136 Highway 942, Darrow, LA 70725-2302
After a short drive from Laura Plantation, you'll settle into a seated lunch in Houmas House' elegant dining room. After lunch, walk through the 250 year history of this estate and how a succession of owners and the Mississippi River grew this modest manor house into the estate it is today. A collection of art, furniture, and antique artifacts help tell the story of plantation life. 38 acres of gardens surround the mansion.
Duration: 3 hours
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Traveler pickup is offered
Must be centrally located, contact local supplier to confirm pick up point. Supplier will contact you to give an exact pick up time the day before your tour.
- Duration: 9 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 8:00 AM
- Transport by 14-passenger air-conditioned high roof van with guide giving live narration
- Narrated swamp pontoon covered boat or fast and fun airboat tour
- Lunch at Houmas House
- Tour of Houmas House and Laura Plantation
- Hotel pickup with exact pickup time provided
- Entry/Admission - Laura: Louisiana's Creole Heritage Site
- Entry/Admission - Houmas House Plantation and Gardens
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Service animals are permitted. Please advise at time of booking to arrange accommodations
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking in the special requirements field
- Tour operates in all weather conditions. Umbrellas and rain ponchos are available for use if guests forget their own. If a tour cannot operate due to inclement weather you will be notified
- Due to the nature of the airboat, children under the age of 5, pregnant women, people with back or neck issues or recent surgeries are not allowed to participate in the airboat portion of the tour.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Our tour vans are thoroughly cleaned after each tour, all door handles and interior surfaces wiped down with alcohol-based disinfectant daily. Our driver-guides wear masks and disposable masks are provided to guests upon request.
Average 4.67 out of 5 stars based on 818 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Cool New Orleans specialist!
Product code: COOL-2292GRAND
Similar Tours & Activities