Best of Maui Haleakala and Iao Valley
See the best of Maui on this experiential sightseeing day trip that includes roundtrip transportation from most Maui lodging. Your informative local guide will take you to Haleakala National Park to explore the raw natural beauty of Haleakala Crater known as the "house of the sun." You'll catch glimpses of Maui's stunning landscape from what seems like the top of the world. Venture to Iao Valley to view the unique rocky pinnacle known as the Iao Needle and stop for lunch in the historic town of Makawao home to former paniolo or Hawaiian cowboys.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Haleakala National Park, Haleakala National Park, Maui, Hawaii
Home to the world’s largest dormant volcano; over 30,000 acres. The park is known for its unique volcanic features, its long scenic drive with numerous overlooks, and the rare, endemic wildlife, flora and fauna.
Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
Stop At: Haleakala Visitor Center, Haleakala Hwy, Kula, Maui, HI 96790
Spectacular views from the rim area at 9,740 ft. elevation.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Haleakala Summit Sunrise, Haleakala Crater Road, Kula, Maui, HI
Views from what seems like the top of the world! The only Haleakala tour that visits the summit area.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Historic Makawao Town, Baldwin Ave & Makawao Ave, Makawao, Maui, HI 96768
A charming and historic former plantation town and the paniolo or Hawaiian cowboy. Today, the county seat of Maui government. Stop to explore the town and have lunch on your own.
Duration: 1 hour 10 minutes
Pass By: Wailuku, Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii
Former plantation town with remnants of the missionaries and heyday of the sugar cane era.
Pass By: Kaahumanu Church, 103 S High St, Wailuku, Maui, HI 96793-2156
Beautiful church with gothic architecture built by request of Queen Kaahumanu.
Stop At: Iao Valley, Maui, HI 96793
A verdant valley formed by erosion with a bubbling stream and the pinnacle, an iconic, pointed ridge covered in verdant vegetation known as the Iao Needle.
Duration: 30 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 9 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 6:00 AM
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Haleakala National Park admission fee
- Iao Valley State Park admission fee
- Pick-up and drop-off at specific Maui hotels
- Tour narration by a professional driver/guide
- Entry/Admission - Haleakala Visitor Center
- Entry/Admission - Haleakala Summit Sunrise
- Entry/Admission - Iao Valley
- Lunch - Lunch is on your own in Makawao Town.
- Port pickup and drop-off
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please contact the tour provider at minimum of 7 days prior to the tour date for ADA and all special requests.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Haleakala is known for rapidly changing weather conditions and dense clouds and rain are common. As a result, clear viewing of the sunrise is not guaranteed, and the tour operates rain or shine. Refunds will be granted only when the tour is cancelled for safety reasons.
- The high altitude at the summit area may complicate health conditions and breathing difficulties. Elderly visitors, pregnant women, young children, and those with respiratory or heart conditions should consult their doctor prior to touring. Walk slowly and drink water to avoid dehydration. If you have gone scuba diving, you should wait at least 24 hours before going on this tour.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Since the COVID-19 pandemic began, we have elevated our existing cleaning regimen and developed the POLYAD CLEAN RIDE Program which has enhanced procedures and protocols for cleaning and disinfecting our fleet to the standards recommended by the CDC using EPA-approved products.
Average 4.12 out of 5 stars based on 119 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Haleakala is stunning and well worth a visit. It is quite cool at that altitude so a good idea to take a light jacket. I hiked from where the tour bus stopped to the summit and it gave a better view of the crater. Iao Valley was also great. This tour takes up most of the day and you really only see two attractions being Haleakala and Iao Valley but because both are so beautiful it is worth booking this tour.
This tour was enjoyable, and our guide, Judy, was fun and informative. It really cannot be called an ag tour, as we just drove through mostly fallow farmland, but the rest was as described - and the guide gave us lots of information and fun facts. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate, and the crater at the top was completely engulfed in fog, but the trip was well worth it.
Well organized tour in small group to visit central Maui away from the beaches. Our guide was very knowledgeable and made everything possible to make the day trip enjoyable.
Our tour guide was informative! She made our trip enjoyable.
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities