New York Experience: Brooklyn Food, History & Culture Tour
Experience the best travel stories for yourself!
You may not immediately compare Brooklyn to a small town, but the hippest borough is made up of distinct community-oriented neighborhoods that thrive and blossom because of the local mom-and-pop businesses, many of which have been here for generations. Throughout this neighborhood food tour, we celebrate the businesses by telling the stories of the people involved, by sampling some of the delicious food being sold, and by contributing a donation to an organization designed to maintain the success of this community of small businesses.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Smith Streetjh, Brooklyn, NY
We spend the first part of the tour along one of the most exciting restaurant districts of Brooklyn. Wandering up and down Smith Street in Carroll Gardens, we stop into many of the local mom and pop businesses including a renowned baker, an impressive cheese shop, and an adorable little cookie bakery.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, NY
As we stroll through this picturesque neighborhood we learn how it got its name, about its history as an Italian and Irish immigrant neighborhood, and how the waterfront helped transform it. We meet residents and shop owners and taste some great pastries, house roasted coffee, and visit an old-school soda fountain.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: 61 Bergen St, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
We pop into this neighborhood public house for a locally made drink (beer, soda, or kombucha) and some bar snacks. We also learn about how this bar/restaurant is more a place for locals to come together and support the local economy.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Cobble Hill, Court Street and Kane Street, Brooklyn, NY
This historic district features some of the most beautiful brownstones in all of Brooklyn. Feel like a local as we wander through the residential streets and beautiful parks. Admire the architecture and visit many of the mom and pop businesses in the neighborhood.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Brooklyn Heights, Pierrepont St & Henry ST, Brooklyn, NY
We just touch on the southern end of this historic neighborhood by walking down the main commercial street of Atlantic Avenue. Here we get a sense of how locals shop by visiting one of the legendary Middle Eastern bakeries.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain, 513 Henry St, Brooklyn, NY 11231, USA
We end our tour at one of the cutest businesses in the neighborhood, and a place where you find kids indulging in an ice cream sundae and grandparents enjoying a good old fashioned ice cream float. This revived soda fountain brings the old world and the new world together with modern twist on New York classics. And you need to hear the story about how they first began.
Duration: 10 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 3 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 11:00 AM
- Return Details: Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain, 513 Henry St, Brooklyn, NY 11231, USA
- Friendly Local, English-speaking food lover’s guide
- Walk 3 hours and explore diverse Brooklyn cuisine, from New American to Italian, the Middle East
- Discover best bites Brooklyn has to offer on 7 Unique Food Stops and taste 7 Food samples
- Visit family-owned food stores
- Get tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay
- Tips / gratuities for your guide
- Additional food and drinks
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Wear comfortable clothes and walking shoes
- You will be in a small group of no more than 12 people
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge.
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- This tour has a strong focus on local businesses and the economy of the community. One bar you visit is named for these local ideals and supports the local economy with community gatherings, pickups for community-supported agriculture, and using as many local ingredients as possible
- Your guide will discuss the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission that was formed to protect historically significant buildings and districts, including an area you walk through on this tour
- Most travelers can participate
- Please note: food options and portion sizes will vary depending on the season and where we stop that day but the total amount of food included will be equal to a full meal.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
Average 4.67 out of 5 stars based on 66 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor