Old Jail Museum Tour in St. Augustine
Located on San Marco Avenue in St. Augustine’s Uptown District, the Old Jail Museum offers an educational and intriguing look into what it would have been like to be a prisoner in the Nation’s Oldest City. Take a guided tour led by the “jailers” for a compelling look at the cells where imprisoned men and women once lived, the maximum security area reserved for the most nefarious criminals and a collection of weapons.
Visit: Old Jail Museum, 167 San Marco Ave, St. Augustine, FL 32084-3269
For nearly 60 years – until 1953 – the Old Jail served as the St. Johns County facility for petty thieves and hardened criminals. There were even eight recorded executions, two of which were accused murderers. Sim Jackson, who was hanged in 1908 after murdering his wife with a straight razor, is among the group.
Today, visitors learn about the infamous Sheriff Perry, who served from 1889 until 1897 and again from 1901 until 1919. His stature as a “big, bold man” at 6’6” and weighing 300 pounds was intimidating even for the most hardcore of inmates. Though popular in the community, Perry was feared amongst cell inhabitants – both male and female – for his reputation of renting out prisoners to local farmers through a leasing system.
Visitors can also take a look at the cell blocks, gallows and sheriff’s quarters. See where the sheriff, his wife and children lived, right upstairs from the prisoners, and how they used their own kitchen to prepare meals for the inmates. A tour through this attraction will show visitors what life was like as an inmate and how the Old Jail helped shape St. Augustine’s history.
Duration: 30 minutes
Visit: Historic Tours of America - St. Augustine, 167 San Marco Ave, St. Augustine, FL 32084-3269
Experience is offered by Historic Tours of America
Duration: 30 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 30 minutes (Approx.)
- Departure Time: Old Jail Museum Tour in St. Augustine
12/12/2022 - 12/18/202212/19/2022 - 12/25/202212/26/2022 - 1/1/20231/2/2023 - 1/8/20231/9/2023 - 1/15/20231/16/2023 - 1/22/20231/23/2023 - 1/29/20231/30/2023 - 2/5/20232/6/2023 - 2/12/20232/13/2023 - 2/19/20232/20/2023 - 2/26/20232/27/2023 - 3/5/20233/6/2023 - 3/12/20233/13/2023 - 3/19/20233/20/2023 - 3/26/20233/27/2023 - 4/2/20234/3/2023 - 4/9/20234/10/2023 - 4/16/20234/17/2023 - 4/23/20234/24/2023 - 4/30/20235/1/2023 - 5/7/20235/8/2023 - 5/14/20235/15/2023 - 5/21/20235/22/2023 - 5/28/20235/29/2023 - 6/4/20236/5/2023 - 6/11/20236/12/2023 - 6/18/20236/19/2023 - 6/25/20236/26/2023 - 7/2/20237/3/2023 - 7/9/20237/10/2023 - 7/16/20237/17/2023 - 7/23/20237/24/2023 - 7/30/20237/31/2023 - 8/6/20238/7/2023 - 8/13/20238/14/2023 - 8/20/20238/21/2023 - 8/27/20238/28/2023 - 9/3/20239/4/2023 - 9/10/20239/11/2023 - 9/17/20239/18/2023 - 9/24/20239/25/2023 - 10/1/202310/2/2023 - 10/8/202310/9/2023 - 10/15/202310/16/2023 - 10/22/202310/23/2023 - 10/29/202310/30/2023 - 11/5/202311/6/2023 - 11/12/202311/13/2023 - 11/19/202311/20/2023 - 11/26/202311/27/2023 - 12/3/202312/4/2023 - 12/10/2023
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Admission to Old Jail
- Entry/Admission - Old Jail Museum
- Entry/Admission - Historic Tours of America - St. Augustine
- Transportation to/from attraction
- Food and drinks
- St. Augustine Old Jail closed on Christmas Day.
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children 5 yrs. and younger are free
- Free parking available
- Reservations are not accepted; tours operate on a first come, first serve basis on the day of
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- Museum is wheelchair accessible on lower floor only.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
Average 4.76 out of 5 stars based on 160 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities