Honey Island Swamp Tour
Venture into the interior of one of the wildest swamps in America on this guided, 2-hour tour of Honey Island, Louisiana near New Orleans. Join a professional wetland ecologist on a personalized, narrated tour. This protected nature reserve hosts an abundance of wildlife, from egrets and herons, to otters and alligators. The boats are covered to provide shade from the hot Louisiana sun, and cover when the skies open up.
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Family friendly
- Multiple times offered throughout the day
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tours, Slidell, LA
Enjoy this Louisiana Swamp experience — a unique outdoor adventure that is safe, organized, fun, and educational.
Upon arrival at the starting location on the West Pearl River, in Slidell, Louisiana, venture in to the gift shop overlooking the Tupelo and Cypress swamp and check in for the tour. Be sure to take a look out of the back window to see if any backyard guests are lurking in the murky waters below. Don’t forget to use the restrooms before embarking on this 2-hour tour throughout nearly 70,000 acres of the Honey Island Swamp, a permanently protected wildlife preserve.
While walking down the dock, embrace the excitement of seeing the moss hanging from the gnarled cypress trees and the sweet smell of wild azaleas in the air. There's an undeniable eagerness to explore. Listen intently to the captain’s tales of pirates, Bigfoot, and prehistoric creatures roaming the region while entering the primitive beauty of the Honey Island Swamp.
Keep an eye out for alligators, herons, egrets, deer, feral hogs, nutria, raccoons, otters, turtles, and frogs — an abundance of wildlife along the banks and the in the murky waters. Or look up and out for bald eagles, owls, osprey, and other waterfowl soaring through the skies. They could be visible one second and gone the next.
Those touring Honey Island can easily see why Louisiana is known as the Fisherman’s Paradise. Passing through the Cajun village, where local fisherman reside, see them catching bluegill, redear sunfish, largemouth bass, and warmth. Thousands of pounds of crawfish are caught in these waters every season as well.
All the tour boats are inspected and approved by the US Coast Guard. These small, custom-built, flat-bottom boats transport approximately 20-24 individuals each. They are operated by experienced local guides who interact with the guests and make the trip both enjoyable and exciting.
With the journey back up the river, the captain leads the way to the original departure location to close out the tour.
NOTE: This option does NOT include transportation to and from New Orleans. Please select "Honey Island Swamp Tour with Pick-up from New Orleans," should you need hotel pick up.
Duration: 2 hours
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 2 hours (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Live commentary on board
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Entry/Admission - Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tours
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your departure time
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- All can enjoy
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 22 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
Average 4.92 out of 5 stars based on 136 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities