Wild West Day Trip from Lake Tahoe with Train Ride
Delve into Nevada’s Wild West mining history on this tour from South Lake Tahoe to Virginia City, a mining boomtown listed on the US National Register of Historic Places. With a knowledgeable guide, travel along part of the Pony Express on the drive to Virginia City, where you’ll take a ride on the Virginia & Truckee Railroad. Then explore the town however you wish, checking out museums and visiting the saloon.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Virginia & Truckee Railroad, 165 F Street, Virginia City, NV 89440
7 mile train ride from Virginia City to Gold Hill and back.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Comstock Lode, Virginia City, NV
Comstock Lode - Silver City, Gold Hill, Virginia City
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Virginia City Visitor Center, 86 South C Street, Virginia City, NV 89440
On C street
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: The Delta Saloon, 18 South C Street, Virginia City, NV 89440
Great place for lunch and refreshments
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: The Way It Was Museum, 113 S C St, Virginia City, NV 89440-9800
Recommended museum by Discover Lake Tahoe Tours
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: St. Mary in the Mountains Catholic Church, 111 S E St, Virginia City, NV 89440
Duration: 20 minutes
Pass By: Genoa Bar, 2282 Main Street, Genoa, NV 89411
Oldest bar in Nevada
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Traveler pickup is offered
Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort departure time: 8:20am
Marriott Resorts departure time: 8:30am
Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel departure time: 8:40am
- Duration: 7 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 8:30 AM
- Transport by air-conditioned shuttle bus
- Train ride
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Entry/Admission - Virginia & Truckee Railroad
- Admission to attractions (optional)
- Entry/Admission - The Way It Was Museum
- Entry/Admission - St. Mary in the Mountains Catholic Church
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- It is recommended to bring comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen and a reusable water bottle
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
Average 4.36 out of 5 stars based on 55 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Great Bus driver - told all about what we saw. Great Train conductor. Relaxing, delightful.
Enjoyed going back in time and visiting what it would have been like during the Gold Rush days. Virginia City is small quaint western town with several good restaurants and lots of unique shopping stores. Also enjoyed hearing the history of the area from Lake Tahoe to Virginia City. The train ride is short but gives you the true flavor of the past which was very enjoyable. Visited Carson City and saw some historical sites there as well. I would recommend this trip to anyone visiting the area.
This was a fun tour to do. Our driver/guide was knowledgeable in the history of the area from the time we left South Lake Tahoe until we arrived at Virginia City and then back again. The short train ride had great views of the mining areas and we even saw a few wild Mustang horses roaming the terrain. Virginia City takes you back in time with the wood planked sidewalks and all the saloons and other historical buildings. If you've never been before it is a day trip to enjoy and if you have been, go again!
Very enjoyable. Informative info both on the ride to Virginia City and also on the train ride.
My husband loved Bonanza tv show. So I booked this trip. Train ride was interesting but the seats were too hard. I was taught a lot of trivia from our coach driver. Interesting trip.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Cool Lake Tahoe specialist!
Product code: COOL-6508WILDWEST
Similar Tours & Activities