Big Island in a Day: Volcanoes, Waterfalls, Sightseeing, History
This 11 hour nature tour offers an in-depth look at Hawaii’s youngest and largest island. Explore the diverse landscape and natural wonders, including a visit of the Volcanoes National Park, walk through rainforests to soaring waterfalls and stroll black-sand beaches as you scan the horizon for green sea turtles. This family-friendly tour requires easy walking and introduces people of all ages to the island, and includes lunch, snacks, refreshments, and park entrance fees.
- Small-group tour by minibus
- Instant Confirmation
- Hotel pickup included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Kailua Pier, 75-5660 Palani Rd, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740-3612
Drive through Downtown Kona
Stop At: Royal Kona Coffee Center, 83-5427 Mamalahoa Hwy, Captain Cook, Island of Hawaii, HI 96704-8303
Walk through a lava tube, and take a tour of a Kona Coffee Farm to learn about the harvesting and milling process while sampling Kona Coffee
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Punalu'u Black Sand beach, Highway 11, Pahala, Island of Hawaii, HI 96777
Dip your toes in the sand at Punalu’u Black Sand Beach and scan the horizon for green sea turtles on the shore
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Volcano National Park, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Island of Hawaii, HI
Explore the wonders of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, including steam vents, the Halema’uma’u and Kilauea Iki crater lookouts, past lava flow sites, and take a short hike along crater rim trail.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Nahuku - Thurston Lava Tube, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Island of Hawaii, HI 96718
Walk along a bridge that gives you a literal inside look at Hawaii, as you follow it to the eerie Thurston Lava Tube, a 600-foot-long (183-meter) cave formed hundreds of years ago by an underground river of magma.
Duration: 25 minutes
Stop At: Akaka Falls State Park, End of Akaka Falls Road Off Hwy 220, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96728
This towering 442-foot (135-meter) waterfall plummets into a lush ravine at the center of a state park. You’ll enjoy a short walk through the vegetation for an up close view and plenty of photo ops.
Duration: 40 minutes
Stop At: Rainbow Falls, Waianuenue Avenue, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720
Next is a waterfall that’s small by comparison, but not by beauty: Rainbow Falls, a beautiful 80-foot (24-meter) waterfall with a giant banyan tree beside it.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Waipi'o Valley, Island of Hawaii, HI
The views stop you in your tracks at the Waipio Valley lookout, where a dramatic backdrop of lush cliffs drops into the sparkling blue ocean
Duration: 20 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up from all major hotels and resorts in Kona and Kohala Coast. In addtion to locations below,
Starbucks at Queen's Market Place (69-201 Waikoloa Beach Dr, Waikoloa Village, HI 96738)
Pine Tree Cafe
Longs Drugs at Keauhou Shopping Center
Kona International Airport Pickup and Drop offAirports
- Keahole Airport, 73-200 Kupipi St, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740
- Duration: 11 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods.1/1/2020 - 12/31/2020
1/1/2021 - 12/31/2021
Monday - Sunday: 06:30 AM - 08:00 AM Monday - Sunday: 06:30 AM - 08:00 AM
- Small-group tour limited to maximum of 13
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Bottled water
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Rain gear
- Professional guide
- Entry/Admission - Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Entry/Admission - Akaka Falls State Park
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions; please dress appropriately
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 13 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
Average 4.83 out of 5 stars based on 418 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor.
Great experience. Our guide for the 12 hour tour was Kala. Native to Big Island, he exuded knowledge. Proud of Hawaiian heritage, he was an enthusiastic guide, teacher, and humorist.
Great trip, lots of information and bath room breaks. The only problem was with the office as to the directions where we should meet the bus and a request for a front seat for handicapped was not forwarded to the driver.
My husband and I went without expectations and we were very surprised! The small group made it very personalable . We thought our guide Sergio was professional, knowledgeable and had a wonderful sense of humor ! Stopped at a bakery so we could enjoy fantastic doughnuts. If you want to have a wonderful day take a Wasabi tour!
The best we ever experiences. The guide was spectacular. Would highly recommend him. Not a dull moment in 12 hours
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Cool Destinations specialist!.
Product code: COOL-6651BIOD
Similar Tours & Activities