Wildlife and Glaciers with a walk in the Rainforest
Take a shuttle along the glacier-carved shores of the Turnagain Arm, scoping out craggy cliffs for Dall sheep and scanning the water for surfacing beluga whales. On this guided excursion, take a scenic drive outside of Anchorage and spend some time visiting orphaned animals at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.
Get picked up from the Anchorage Visitors Center, where you can hop in a comfortable shuttle and let your guide plot a course to to the south. Pass through Chugach State Park, along waterfront roads that offer sweeping views of the Turnagain Arm. Look for beluga whales coming in from Cook Inlet, try and spot eagles nesting in evergreen treetops, and spot Dall sheep framed against the black backdrop of steep mountainsides. Your tour includes stops at Beluga Point, Portage Valley, Potter Marsh and a brief walk in the rainforest guest have told us they felt like they were “walking into another world” “enchanting” “spiritual” so you won’t want to miss this experience.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Mile 79 Seward Highway, Girdwood, Anchorage, AK 99587
View Alaska's most famous animals up close in a natural setting. During this visit, you'll get great pictures of real live bears, moose, musk-ox, caribou, bison, and more! The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC) is a sanctuary dedicated to preserving Alaska’s wildlife through conservation, research, education and quality animal care. AWCC has provided care for hundreds of displaced animals because visitors like you have made critical contributions in the form of admission fees, donations, memberships, and gift shop purchases.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Chugach State Park, Mile 115 Seward Highway, Girdwood, Anchorage, AK 99587
Beluga Point: Popular photo stop with panoramic views of Turnagain Arm, with possible opportunities to see Dall sheep and Beluga whales. Timing is everything hopefully you will see both!
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Portage Glacier, Portage Lake Loop, Girdwood, Anchorage, AK
Portage Valley: You will see Explorer Glacier, Middle Glacier, Byron Glacier and Take a Walk through a Rainforest. Next grab a snack or meal to enjoy on your ride back to Anchorage at Portage Day Lodge.
Duration: 30 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 4 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Professional guide
- Pick up at Anchorage Downtown Visitors Center 546 W 5th Avenue
- Wildlife Conservation Center Entry Fee
- Entry/Admission - Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Not recommended for Infants or Passengers who cannot walk for 40 minutes on their own.
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
Average 4.69 out of 5 stars based on 185 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities