Whitney Plantation Tour
Visit the Whitney Plantation of New Orleans and step back in time as you explore the 18th-century plantation museum, the only one of its kind in Louisiana. On this 5-hour tour (including travel time from New Orleans,) you’ll see museum exhibits, memorial artwork, and restored buildings. Learn about an important part of American history as recorded from first-person slave narratives.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Ideal choice for families
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Fully narrated tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Mississippi River, LA
Start the tour at the designated meeting point in New Orleans and journey to the historic Whitney Plantation, one of the antebellum estates located along the Mississippi River.
Pass By: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans, LA
You'll cross the Bonnet Carre Spillway, a flood outlet for the river, and see a panoramic view of Lake Pontchartrain on your way to the plantation. Pass by the Evergreen, Felicity and St. Joseph plantations, where rich crops of sugar cane, cotton, and indigo from these fertile lands once traveled to various ports of trade.
Stop At: Whitney Plantation, 5099 Highway 18, Wallace, LA 70049-2803
Arrive at the Whitney Plantation, which dates back more than 260 years and is now a working museum dedicated to the understanding of slavery in the American South. Visit museum exhibits and restored buildings including historical slave cabins, some of which remain from the original 22 on-site. See the Big House, which is one of the finest surviving examples of Spanish Creole architecture in Louisiana, and learn about the daily life of former slaves at Whitney as recorded by the Federal Writers' Project. Please download the Whitney Plantation app for the self-guided tour of Whitney Plantation Museum.
At the end of your 5-hour tour, you're returned to central New Orleans.
Duration: 3 hours
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 5 hours (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- 3 hours to spend touring Whitney Plantation
- Round-trip transport from central New Orleans
- Entry/Admission - Whitney Plantation
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Check-in is 15 minutes prior to start time.
- If the guest needs a wheelchair lift equipped bus, then special arrangements need to be made with the supplier. This must be arranged 48 hours prior to tour date. Contact details will be on your voucher.
- Guests visiting Whitney using a wheelchair will have access to the gift shop, restrooms, and museum. The plantation grounds are accessible; however, there are uneven gravel paths. The main house tour is not accessible to guest traveling in wheelchairs and is not required to be modified as it is a historic home; however, the first floor is accessible. Guests would be able to view the slave quarters, but would not have access to enter.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
Average 4.55 out of 5 stars based on 130 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities