Evening Volcano Explorer from Hilo
The original volcano lovers tour. Start with a drive through quaint Hilo town where you’ll drive along the historic waterfront before heading out to the old fishing village of Kalapana. Your National Park Service certified guide will discuss the volcanology, geology, and history of Kilauea volcano, as well as providing in-depth narration on the various lava flows and flora and fauna that you’ll be passing by. Kalapana was destroyed by lava, as was the adjacent beach, Kaimu. Deli style dinner included.
- See the sights illuminated at night
- Small group ensures personal service
- All entrance fees included
- All necessary equipment included
- Snacks and Beverages included
- Fully narrated tour
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Star of the Sea Painted Church, Pahoa Kalapana Road, Kalapana, Island of Hawaii, HI
Stop by Star of the Sea Painted Church. Moved by the community twice to save it from advancing lava flows in 1990, this decommissioned church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Volcano National Park, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Island of Hawaii, HI
Next travel to the crown jewel of Hawaii, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Visit the Kilauea Visitor’s Center, the Kilauea Iki Crater Overlook, and Steaming Bluffs. Stop in at the famous Volcano House for incredible views of Kilauea Caldera, and hike to the cracks and sinkholes in the paved roads left behind by the historic eruption of 2018.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: KapohoKine Adventures, 93 Banyan Dr Grand Naniloa Hotel, Lobby Level, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720-2860
Meeting and drop off location
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Kaimu Beach Park, Old Kalpana Rd, Pahoa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96778
The original volcano lovers tour. Start with a drive through quaint Hilo town where you’ll drive along the historic waterfront before heading out to the old fishing village of Kalapana. Your National Park Service certified guide will discuss the volcanology, geology, and history of Kilauea volcano, as well as providing in-depth narration on the various lava flows and flora and fauna that you’ll be passing by. Kalapana was destroyed by lava, as was the adjacent beach, Kaimu. Hike out across the lava flow to the new black sand beach.
Duration: 45 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Traveler pickup is offered. You will be asked for your location in the checkout and your booking confirmation will contain more details.
- Duration: 6 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 12:30 PM
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Entry/Admission - Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Closed toe walking shoes required
- Bring a light rain jacket
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 26 travelers
Average 4.41 out of 5 stars based on 27 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
We had an excellent time on our tour with Spencer. He was a wealth of knowledge and gave us so much information throughout the entire tour. He is passionate about the island and exudes the Aloha spirit we have come to love when visiting the islands.
Great experience would recommend this tour. Guide was informative allowing extra time at some spots. The volcano crater looked great at nights unfortunately it was raining but this did not spoil the view.
Barb S. ..Australia
This tour was amazing!
Absolutely amazing tour! The guide was extremely knowledgable and ensured that everything ran on time.
Highly recommended if you're staying in Hilo.
very interesting and a super guide Sarah
Jessica was amazing, informative and humorous. This trip was very informative. We appreciate the snacks, the thoughtfulness of the wet towels, the dinner as well as seeing a live volcano. I even had a orchid to Pele and apparently it worked as the volcano spurted while we were watching! We had a small and friendly group. It was 6 hours but the day went fast, yet they got us back in time knowing we had to drive back to Kona.
The tour was amazing! Our guide, Campbell, was knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor! He tailored the tour to us and never rushed us. The volcano crater at night was unbelievable! Highly recommend this tour!
Fabulous. I have made similar trips before and this was the first time we actually saw the glow and some lava activity. Visit to the Volcano winery was a wonderful wine tasting and dinner experience.
Great experience. Our guide, Levi, was wonderful. While traveling from place to place, he shared so much information about Hawaiian history and folklore. I was very impressed because he is not a native Hawaiian. He was an excellent driver a day very pleasant to be with. I really enjoyed the meal at the winery. I would have liked to spend more time at the museum. Definitely worth going back.
This trip was all that it is billed to be. The tour guilde was excellent. Kyle really knew his stuff, and his attention to detail was amazing. He was constantly checking to see if anyone needed anything and that we were having good time. No question was to trivival for him to answer, and if he didn't know the answer he was very quick to say so, and try and find out. The wine tour and tasting was super. The highlight of course was the volcano and laval tube. The view was fantastic. I would recommend that if you are trying to take pictures, you bring a long lens, and a mono pod. it was hard to get a steady shot due to the distance the volcano was from us. Even so the view was great. The tour was right on time from start to finish. Enough can not be said for the our guide. If you get the chance ask for Kyle. you will in no way be disappointed. You can see that even though he comes across as a easy going go with the flow type of guy, he is very preparded and is very good at what he does.
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities