Newport Gilded Age Mansions Trolley Tour with Breakers Admission
For ages 5+ only, this approx 3-hour tour is our scenic overview trolley tour PLUS a 90-minute visit inside the Vanderbilt Breaker's Mansion.
After boarding our luxurious and comfortable trolley at Bus Platform #2 of the Newport Transit Center, your driver starts the tour with a brief history of Colonial-era downtown and explains the Gilded Era history and events that occurred over the centuries.
Then you will experience breath-taking views of scenic Ocean Drive prior to seeing the strip of mansions lining Bellevue Ave. Along the route, movie and TV sets will come to life, such as HBOs The Gilded Age, Hocus Pocus 2, the Great Gatsby, Amistad, True Lies, and a dozen more.
Today's happenings are also thoroughly covered such as the best dining spots, boat tours, and other fun activities. Your tour guide will detail the best way to navigate this bustling city as well as explain the Cliff Walk attractions.
This tour is 160-180 minutes depending on traffic conditions.
Stop At: Newport Travel Trolley Tours, 23 America's Cup Ave, Newport, RI 02840, USA
(For ages 5 & up only). Park at the Newport Transit Center public lot and locate the white trolley at Bus Platform #2 outside. Show your cell phone or printed ticket to driver. The driver will provide your Breaker's Mansion pass if you purchased that option.
Duration: 10 minutes
Pass By: Fort Adams State Park, 80 Fort Adams Drive, Fort Adams State Park Visitor Center, Newport, Rhode Island 02840
The trolley tour will enter Fort Adams, a historic 1799 landmark and home of today's annual Newport Jazz Festival and Newport Folk Festival. The fort is also home to President Eisenhower's summer home called the Eisenhower House.
The Welcome Center features a snack bar, clean restrooms, and ticket sales counter to take a tour inside of the fort.
There are also 2 water taxi stops and free public parking at Fort Adams State Park. The Bennington Overlook section of Fort Adams offers breathtaking sunsets over Narragansett Bay with free parking as well.
Pass By: Brenton Point State Park, Ocean Drive, Newport, Rhode Island 02840
The trolley tour passes by Brenton Point State Park, former estate of RI's 2nd governor William Brenton (elected 1665). Brenton Point State Park is a free public park offering pristine views of the Atlantic Ocean on 2 sides of the park plus free sunsets over the water 12 months per year. Seasonal restrooms are available in the stone building
Pass By: Ocean Drive, Newport, Rhode Island
The trolley tour travels through the Ocean Drive Historic District. Visitors will begin to see Newport's Gilded Age Mansions lining the Atlantic Ocean with breathtaking scenery.
Mansions on Ocean Drive include Mavis and Jay Leno's Seafair, and several filming locations of HBO's TV series "The Gilded Age" including Indian Spring Castle, The Ledges and Crossways mansions.
Pass By: Cliff Walk, Newport, Rhode Island 02840
Once the trolley tour enters the Newport Cliff Walk area of the Bellevue Ave Historic District, riders will begin to learn about the Gilded Age mansions along the Cliff Walk, which are on the ocean side of the mansions for 3.5 miles between Reject's Beach and Newport Beach.
Your guide will explain how to best access the Cliff Walk and areas where parking is free to enjoy the Cliff Walk and the best areas for viewing.
Pass By: Marble House, 596 Bellevue Ave, Newport, Rhode Island 02840
The trolley tour stops in front of the 2nd of the 3 Newport Vanderbilt mansions "The Marble House".
This small palace built in 1892 was instrumental in the passage of the women's suffrage movement, as Alva Vanderbilt hosted fundraisers in her pagoda (Chinese Tea House on the Cliff Walk) whereby she raised a great deal of money to pass the 19th amendment.
Both the Marble House and Chinese Tea House were the Asian wedding set in the Katherine Heigel classic movie "27 Dresses"
Free parking for Marble House tour visitors is available across the street at 585 Bellevue Ave.
Pass By: Rosecliff, 584 Bellevue Ave, Newport, Rhode Island 02840
The trolley tour stops in front of the Rosecliff Mansion, a 1902 'summer cottage" of Tessie Fair-Oelrichs. The most famous movie filmed here was The Great Gatsby (Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, Sam Waterston).
Tours are available at the Rosecliff mansion on a seasonal basis.
Stop At: The Breakers, 44 Ochre Point Ave, Newport, Rhode Island 02840
The trolley tour stops at The Breakers Newport, the 3rd Vanderbilt Mansion in Newport and discharges passengers who purchased this interior tour option.
This 1895 'summer cottage' is the largest mansion in the region and is RIs most visited tourist attraction. It sits on the Newport Cliff Walk facing SE towards the Atlantic Ocean.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Pass By: The Elms, 367 Bellevue Ave, Newport, Rhode Island 02840
The trolley tour continues along Bellevue Ave and passes by The Elms Newport, a Gilded Age mansion of Edward and Sarah Berwind. The guide explains the 2 tours that are available inside the Elms Mansion.
Pass By: International Tennis Hall of Fame, 194 Bellevue Ave, Newport, Rhode Island 02840
The trolley tour passes by the front door of the International Tennis Hall of Fame, the 1881 site of the old Newport Casino (shopping district of the Gilded Age millionaires). The guide explains the free and for-fee tours available inside the ITHOF.
Pass By: Bowen's Wharf, 13 Bowens Wharf, Newport, Rhode Island 02840
The trolley tour continues into Downtown Newport's bustling waterfront district anchored by Bowen's Wharf. The guide explains the shopping, dining, boating excursions, and other waterfront attractions along America's Cup Ave.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 160 to 180 minutes (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Tour inside the Breakers Mansion and its grounds for an additional 90 minutes
- Our breath-taking, narrated scenic overview trolley tour of Newport
- For ages 5+ only, board our luxurious, comfortable late-model trolley with leather captain's chairs
- See over 150+ points of interest such as Colonial Downtown, Scenic Ocean Drive, and Mansion Row
- Gratuities (Optional)
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Travelers should have at least a moderate level of physical fitness
- *MINIMUM AGE TO EXPERIENCE THIS TOUR IS 5 YEARS OLD*
- Departure point is the Newport Transportation Center, 23 America's Cup Ave, Newport RI, platform #2
- Public parking is available at the Transit Center for a fee.
- The duration of this tour is 160-180 minutes depending on traffic conditions
- All tours depart promptly at their scheduled times
- This enclosed trolley tour operates rain or shine except during hurricanes or ice storms
- Please do not meet directly at the Breakers mansion. You will visit the attraction during the trolley tour
- Youth under 17 must be accompanied by an adult
- Our drivers have updated manifests on their devices. Cancelled tickets are not accepted for admission
- The trolley is not handicapped accessible.. Driver may assign seating based on customer needs
- Management at the Breakers Mansion no longer allows curbside drop off and pickup. All passengers are discharged and picked up in the bus lot at the mansion. Visitors will have a walking requirement about 700 feet from the drop off point to the front door of the mansion.
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This tour requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Average 4.89 out of 5 stars based on 2031 traveler reviews collected by Cool Destinations and partner sites such as Trustpilot, Viator, and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities
Travelers Who Bought This Tour Also Bought