Small-Group Louisiana Plantations Tour with Gourmet Lunch from New Orleans
Experience a pilgrimage back in time to the Antebellum South on this small-group van tour. Visit two Louisiana plantations, including an elegant lunch at Houmas House on the famous Mississippi River Road! Enjoy a narrated scenic drive out of New Orleans and along the shores of Lake Ponchartrain.
- All entrance fees included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Small-group tour
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Destrehan Plantation, 13034 River Rd, Destrehan, LA 70047-5202
Travel to the historic Destrehan Plantation on Louisiana's Old River Road for a guided tour. During your tour of Destrehan Plantation, professional guides will bring to life the stories of generations who lived on and worked this land. Your guides will share every detail of this mansion’s storied history with you. You’ll also hear tales of the lives of both its owners and slaves. They will also tell you about its wonderfully restored Greek Revival architecture.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Houmas House and Gardens, 40136 Highway 942, Darrow, LA 70725-2302
A short ride upriver through sugar cane fields brings you to Houmas House Plantation. Refreshing Mint Juleps are available for purchase on arrival.
Enjoy a gourmet lunch (included) in the grand dining hall at Houmas House Plantation.
Houmas House River Road Buffet Lunch Menu:
* Chicken and Andouille Gumbo
* Caesar Salad (GF)
* Cornmeal Fried Catfish
* Chili Glazed Roasted Chicken (GF)
* Crawfish Étouffée
* Red Beans, Sausage and Rice (GF)
* Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta
* Roasted Vegetables (GF)
* White Chocolate Bread Pudding
* Non-alcoholic Drinks and Coffee (included)
After lunch, experience the southern splendor of this Sugar Palace. Your tour guide, in antebellum dress, will lead you into 16 rooms filled with period antiques and Louisiana artwork. Upon completion in 1840, Houmas House was the crown jewel of Louisiana's River Road. Its heroically columned Greek revival exterior is stunning. It was topped by a belvédère that surveyed the oak alley leading south to the sweeping bend in the river. From it, you could also see miles and miles of cane fields extending from the Mississippi River to the back swamps!
Enjoy the breeze off of the Mississippi River and stroll the stunning grounds through the shadows of ancient oaks.
Duration: 3 hours
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Traveler pickup is offered. You will be asked for your location in the checkout and your booking confirmation will contain more details.
- Duration: 7 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 08:30 AM
- Guided tour of Houmas House plantation
- Unlimited gourmet buffet lunch with gratuity (vegetarian, dairy-free and gluten-free options)
- Guided tour of Destrehan plantation
- Hotel pickup and drop-off, with exact pick up time provided
- Transport by air-conditioned 14-passenger van
- Guided admission to 1811 Slave Revolt Exhibit at Destrehan
- Entry/Admission - Destrehan Plantation
- Entry/Admission - Houmas House and Gardens
- Beer, wine and cocktail drinks (available for purchase)
- Gratuities for guide
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Service animals are permitted. Please advise at time of booking to arrange accommodations
- Child rate applies to all children and infants
- Gluten-free and Vegetarian lunch options available
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Our tour vans are thoroughly cleaned after each tour, all door handles and interior surfaces wiped down with alcohol-based disinfectant daily. Guides are vaccinated.
Average 4.64 out of 5 stars based on 76 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities