New Orleans Swamp and Bayou Boat Tour (With Transportation)
Meet your guide for pickup in downtown New Orleans and head for a 2-hour boat tour in Honey Island Swamp, a wildlife preserve that is one of the last protected wetlands in Louisiana. Visit a Cajun village only accessible by boat; learn about the animals and plants in the lush swamps; and get close to wildlife with an expert local guide.
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Get up-close to native wildlife
- Ideal choice for families
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans, LA
After pickup from one of 16 pickup locations in New Orleans, it's a short drive across Lake Pontchartrain to Honey Island Swamp, a wildlife preserve that is one of the last protected wetlands in Louisiana.
Your guide welcomes you aboard a custom-made 22-passenger flat-bottom boat. The smaller sized, quiet boat can fit through narrow passages in the swamp foliage so that you see more and get closer to wildlife. It’s the ideal way to take in the lush environment of Cajun country.
As your guide explains the history of Louisiana’s wetlands and swamp ecosystem, be on the lookout for resident wildlife including alligators, raccoons, owls, wild boar, nutria, snakes, turtles, black bears, bald eagles and many other bird species. Get a close look at some wild gators as your guide shares facts about the toothy beasts, who can weigh up to 1,000 pounds (453 kg). Their ancestors once roamed the earth with the dinosaurs and scientists estimate that they have existed for more than 150 million years.
Glide safely through the fertile swamplands, learning about Cajun culture and how local people have utilized the swamp for food, homes, and medicine from your guide. You even see an authentic Cajun village that is only accessible by boat. Gain an understanding of why the wetlands are slowly disappearing and about the efforts being made to preserve Louisiana's natural treasures.
After a fascinating 2-hour boat tour on Honey Island Swamp, your guide returns you to shore. You can either take the coach back to your New Orleans hotel or make your own way to your next destination, depending on the option you have chosen when booking.
Duration: 2 hours
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: 135 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70130, USA
- Duration: 2 hours (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Pickup and drop off outside of 135 Decatur St. ONLY
- Professional guide
- Live commentary on board
- Food and drinks
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- PLEASE NOTE: tour ONLY picks up from the location listed. Pick ups from any other location cannot be accommodated.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 33 travelers
Average 4.78 out of 5 stars based on 158 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor.
The trip got off to a shaky start when we were told to be at the pick up point at 8am (prompt and bus would go if you were not on time) then the coach did not arrive till 8.50. fortunately we had a very witty driver Danielle who made us all laugh and spoke well about the area and its ups and downs, Once at the Swamp we were introduced to our boats captain Gary. This guy is awesome, funny clever and polite all in one, we loved his banter and could see he loved what he did. We saw alligators, wild boar, chipmunks and racoons. I would definately recommend this trip to anyone.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-6953SWAMPTRANS