New Orleans Garden District Walking Tour
History, architecture, culture, and food all combine on this fun and fascinating tour of the famous New Orleans Garden District. Join a local guide and discover everything this historic area has to offer, from picturesque Antebellum homes to one of New Orleans’ oldest cemeteries.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Garden District, Garden District, New Orleans, Louisiana
Our tour begins in the heart of the New Orleans Garden District - considered by many to be one of the best-preserved collections of historic mansions in the United States. Originally a family plantation, this area was divided into smaller (but still very large!) lots for private homes with beautiful gardens in the mid-1800’s, giving the district its name. The amazing Antebellum architecture in the Garden District continues to draw the eye, making the area a favorite of locals and visitors alike.
Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
Pass By: Lafayette cemetery, Lafayette Cemetery No. 1, Prytania St, New Orleans, LA 70130, USA
We will walk pass one of New Orleans’ oldest cemeteries - Lafayette Cemetery. Continually popular with travelers, the cemetery has a unique approach to burials: namely, the above-ground, multiple-burial techniques used.
Stop At: Commander's Palace, 1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130, USA
We then continue on for a view of one of the most striking buildings in all of New Orleans: Commander’s Palace. Host to a myriad of wedding receptions and dinners throughout the year, this eye-catching, turreted Victorian building is one of the most well-respected upscale restaurants in the entire country. We’ll admire from the outside unless you want to treat your guide to a meal of a lifetime.
Next, we’ll take a stroll, past more gorgeous homes, some with famous Hollywood connections. New Orleans is always a popular filming location for the movie industry and the homes in the Garden District have had starring roles in several films.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Magazine Street, Magazine St, New Orleans, LA, USA
To reflect the full story of The Garden District, your guide will highlight the real history and the true backbone of this historic neighborhood. Across Magazine Street, we’ll find the working-class area known as the Irish Channel. Predominantly settled by Irish immigrants, this neighborhood developed in the early 1800’s when the city’s shipping, alcohol, and brewing industries drew workers from all over the world, especially from Ireland. In contrast to the palatial homes we saw earlier, your guide will take you past some of the iconic shotgun-style homes of New Orleans.
Finally, we’ll take one final stroll past several more picturesque antebellum homes, making our way back close to the streetcar line. When the tour ends, you’re sure to have a newfound appreciation for the deep and complex history and dynamic neighborhood behind the postcard-perfect properties of the Garden District.
Duration: 15 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 2 hours (Approx.)
- Return Details: Garden District, New Orleans, LA, USA
- Learn about the history of the Garden District from a friendly local English-speaking guide
- Walk past Lafayette Cemetery while you guide tells you about these unique burials
- Learn about the history of Irish immigration into Magazine Street
- Marvel at the most beautiful collection of historic mansions in New Orleans
- Enjoy a tour that covers the history, architecture, and culture of New Orleans
- Food and drinks
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- For your Intrepid Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- This tour runs year-round and will proceed rain or shine unless such weather constitutes a dangerous situation.
- In the event of road or attraction closures, your guide will do their best to work around the obstacles or take your tour to alternate locations.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge.
- Most travelers can participate
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Average 5.00 out of 5 stars based on 11 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call Us, Text Us, or Live Chat to speak with a Cool New Orleans specialist!
Product code: C-5713P152
Similar Tours & Activities
Small Group Night Walking Tour through Haunted New Orleans
Customers Who Bought This Tour Also Bought
New Orleans Airboat Ride