Music of New Orleans: Listen and Learn
Everything from Armstrong to Zydeco! Come listen and walk (or maybe dance if you are so inclined) your way through one of the oldest and most musical neighborhoods of New Orleans. Learn why they say, “All Music (at least American Music) is born in New Orleans! As you walk from location to location LISTEN as your tour guide plays you some of the best and most historically important music in the history of our great city. Once you get to a location LEARN about what you just heard as your tour guide places it and its performers into the greater musical and historical context. This tour is for music lovers of all ages.
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Family friendly
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: French Quarter Phantoms, 718 N Rampart St Corner of Orleans Street and Rampart Street, New Orleans, LA 70116-3009
Learn about the great musical legends of New Orleans then and now: from Jelly Roll Morton, to Mahalia Jackson, to Fats Domino, to Trombone Shorty, and the Marsalis family. Gain a greater understanding of the different musical genres that make this city and nation great: from the music of slavery, to traditional jazz, to the industrial rock of the 1990’s!
If that isn’t enough enjoy your walk through one of, if not the oldest, African American neighborhoods in the United States - the Treme, made famous after Katrina by the television series of the same name. You will learn some of the history of this incredible neighborhood and the role it has played in New Orleans for almost 300 years. As one of the most beautiful, historic, and important neighborhoods in the history of the United States, Treme is the birthplace of many famous musicians and a great center of culture and life in our city, so this is almost like getting two tours in one!
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 2 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: null
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Professional guide
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Buy One Get One Free Hurricane Drinks for Adults in Souvenir Cup
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A small amount of walking is involved - One mile taken in an hour and forty five minutes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Average 4.29 out of 5 stars based on 7 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Interesting neighborhood and its history. I would have liked to have spent more time here. I will definitely be back!
Very unique tour with extensive coverage of the rich musical history of New Orleans. Justin was our guide and had a firm understanding of the subject besides presenting it in an enthusiastic manner. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in understanding the complexity and diversity of the city's unique musical heritage.
Dartania is very entertaining, with knowledge of the music history of New Orleans. I liked the musical backdrop she provided to the trip with her mobile player. She has a beautiful voice.
Got a nice overview of the music scene in N.O. from the beginnings til today. Enjoyable!
lots of history told. liked the tour of treme. much more than just music
We had a great guide -- a fun guy who made the best of this outdoor walking tour...It's a good tour if you don't know the area at all, and want some background...You listen to recorded music as you walk and he gives some history. It was adequate.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call Us, Text Us, or Live Chat to speak with a Cool New Orleans specialist!
Product code: C-7957P9
Similar Tours & Activities
Private Louisiana Plantations Tour with Gourmet Lunch from New Orleans
New Orleans Cooking Class & Cocktail Walking Tour
Customers Who Bought This Tour Also Bought
Steamboat Natchez Evening Jazz Cruise with Dinner Option
New Orleans Airboat Ride
Swamp Boat Ride and Oak Alley Plantation Tour from New Orleans