Napa Valley Wine Train: Grgich Hills Winery Half-Day Tour
Taste the wine that put Napa Valley on the map and get the inside track to a true Napa Valley legend. The winery itself is simple, quaint, and charming. But it’s one of the Napa Valley’s most famous stories. If you haven’t heard of the 1976 Paris Tasting, you soon will. After a gourmet lunch aboard our elegant Wine Train, indulge in a private tour and tasting at Grgich Hills Estate, home of one of the greatest winemakers in the world.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Napa Valley Wine Train, 1275 McKinstry St, Napa, CA 94559, USA
Your tour begins with an elegant tranquil train journey northbound through the spectacular Napa Valley aboard our intimate luxury rail car where your gourmet lunch awaits. Private label wine. Soup du Jour or fresh Baby Lettuce Salad. And your choice of gourmet entrées.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Grgich Hills Estate, 1829 St. Helena Highway, Rutherford, CA 94573
Croatian-born founder and winemaker Miljenko “Mike” Grgich is the man behind Grgich Hills Estate. He’s also renowned for his role in the 1976 Paris Tasting, a blind tasting of renowned white Burgundies from France and a sampling of new Napa Valley Chardonnays. Shocked French judges selected Mike Grgich’s 1973 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay as the finest white wine in the world, making him a legend. Today Grgich Hills is known for producing world-class wines sustainably, with care and passion.
Go on a private behind-the-scenes tour of the Grgich cellar and production. Surrounded by oak barrels and the enticing aromas of wine at various stages of its journey, get an exclusive taste of a variety of Grgich Hills wines. Explore the beautiful outdoor patio and overlook the legendary terroir that took the wine world by storm. Grgich is still very much involved at the winery and vineyard. With any luck, you just might meet this sprightly and charming legend in person.
A legendary tour and then, a special treat is waiting for you back on board the Train: coffee or tea and a decadent dessert. Savored at your leisure in luxury, as you head through the Napa Valley back to Napa.
Duration: 1 hour
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Napa Valley Wine Train, 1275 McKinstry St, Napa, CA 94559, USA
- Duration: 4 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 11:30 AM
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- 2-hour train journey
- Lunch - Multiple course gourmet lunch
- 1-hour tour and tasting at Grgich Hills Estate
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Entry/Admission - Napa Valley Wine Train
- Entry/Admission - Grgich Hills Estate
- Server gratuities
- Alcoholic Beverages
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- All of Napa Valley Wine Train winery tours require moderate stair climbing and standing for extended periods. We encourage guests who may have difficulty performing these two activities to consider one of our dining journeys
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
Average 5.00 out of 5 stars based on 2 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
My mom and I did this train and tour. It was the most relaxing ride, we had the salmon (excellent)! The staff was nice but when we got to the winery everything was very informative. It was an excellent experience I’m so glad we were able to experience. Only thing I didn’t understand was people bringing their kids on wine tour I feel it should only be 21+ but still enjoyed Thank you
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Cool Napa & Sonoma specialist!
Product code: COOL-5850P12
Similar Tours & Activities