ARGO Mill Tour
Experience the wonder of ingenuity, technology, and entrepreneurial spirit that is the Argo Mill & Tunnel with a guided walking tour. Situated in Historic Idaho Springs in the heart of Colorado Gold Country sits the Mighty Argo Mill and Tunnel, one of the most striking and prominent Heritage Landmarks in the American West. The Argo is a central character in the story of the Colorado gold rush and remains one of the largest, most well-preserved historic gold mills in the world.
Each professionally guided tour of the Argo Mill and Tunnel takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. A gold panning lesson and experience, which lasts about 20 minutes, is also included with every Argo Mill and Tunnel tour.
Tours: We offer guided tours on the hour every hour from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Reservations are not required.
Mercantile Gift Shop: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM everyday weather depending
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- Multiple times offered throughout the day
- Fully narrated tour
Your tour of the ARGO will include a view in the past history of the ARGO Mill and Tunnel through viewing a history movie that will explain its’ origins. We will offer a demonstration of mining equipment outside the gift shop and tour office, then transport you up to our ore mine the Double Eagle. From there, you will enter the 5 story ARGO Mill and descend through the myriad of artifacts left in place from the days the Mighty Argo was in full production. After you reach the bottom, you will enjoy looking through the fantastic array of mining artifacts and equipment at the base of the ARGO Mill in our museum room. It is chock full of antique photos that are great visual representations of what took place here at the ARGO and in the Idaho Springs area during the Rocky Mountain Gold Rush Era. When you come out of the ARGO Mill, you will find yourself in our panning yard where we offer a gold panning lesson and assist you in finding real gold ore. And – you keep what you find! We also offer gold panning and gem panning separately from the tours for late arrivers and those who have limited time but would like to enjoy some of the ARGO experience.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Professional guide
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
Average 4.70 out of 5 stars based on 553 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor