Grand Canyon Hermit Road Bicycle Tour
The Hermit Road winds along the Grand Canyon’s south rim for 5.5 -miles and is closed to public vehicle traffic. It boasts many of the grandest views in the park including great river views, and is the best opportunity for cyclists to see a large portion of the rim in a short amount of time. Biking this portion of the South Rim is considered a crown jewel and will leave you and your family counting the days until you can return to ride again. All necessary equipment is included.
For a great scenic bike ride at the Grand Canyon National Park, the Hermit Road Tour is perfect for those wanting to explore the rim by bike and avoid the big crowds.
On this tour, the bike shuttle transports cyclists past the challenging uphill section of the road to begin riding the 5.5-mile flat portion of the road (closed to public traffic) and greenways from Hopi Point to Hermit's Rest. The tour proceeds westward for 5.5 miles (9 km) of low intensity riding; stopping at jaw-dropping lookouts along the way to take in the sights and hear interesting information about the natural and human history of the area.
The tour ends at Hermit’s Rest where you can take your picture with the historic bell that graces the entrance to the 1914 Mary Jane Colter building. The structure was designed to provide shelter, food, and curios for tourists at the end of the West Rim Drive in the early tourism days at Grand Canyon. From Hermit’s rest our shuttle will return you and your bikes to our base location at the Visitor Center.
Please note: this tour is seasonal and only operates available between March and October.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: 10 S Entrance Rd, Grand Canyon Village, AZ 86023, USA
- Duration: 3 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Bike & Helmet
- Round trip Bike shuttle
- Guided interpretation
- Child bike equipment exchanges if necessary. (I.E child is unable to safely ride. Exchange for trailer or tag along)
- Transportation to/from other in park attractions
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
Average 4.80 out of 5 stars based on 5 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor.
Guides were awesome, breezy ride on the trail and the hot chocolate at the Hermits rest area at the end of the trip was delicious!
Trey was an amazing guide! So many beautiful views—we learned a lot about the history of the canyon, the indigenous tribes that lived in and around the canyon, and the native plants and animals that reside in the canyon. So much better than riding a packed bus or walking the length of the Hermit Rd (in our opinion). Thank you Trey!!!
Believe it or not, this was a very relaxing, low stress, low energy tour. Don't be intimidated. Anyone with two legs can enjoy it. The bikes are towed up to the top of the ridge on a road with only bicycle and bus traffic allowed. You then start your leisurely ride down to the end of the road, stopping every 5 minutes or so to view a beautiful overlook and get an informative spiel from your tour guide. Its fun, its laid back and, after all the hustle and bustle of Grand Canyon Village and thousands of tourists, its a welcome break!
Had a good time on this tour. While the stops between biking were informative, I would have preferred more active biking time and less chatting time. Stopping for 10 min is fine, but 20 or more is too long if it is a "bike" tour.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-56425P1
Similar Tours & Activities