Kona Shore Excursion: Lava Tubes, Waterfalls & Parker Ranch
SMALL GROUP TOUR
Start time: 8:30 am Learn about history and culture that shaped and molded the Northern edge of the Big Island.Off the beaten path you'll pass through the hot, dry lands of black lava rock deserts to the tropical, lush green rainforest. Explore lava tubes, old Hawaiian highways, waterfalls and the famous Parker Ranch. Taste local Hawaiian plate lunch and famous malasadas (a sweet, light and fluffy Portuguese donuts).
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Small-group tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Get off the beaten track in a 4x4
- Snacks and Beverages included
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kailua Pier, 75-5660 Palani Rd, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740-3612
Check in location is under the large banyan tree located next to the Kailua Kona Pier
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Paniolo Heritage Center, 67-139 Pukalani Rd Kamuela, Waimea, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743-8383
Our first stop will be the Parker Ranch heritage center and museum which hosts handmade artifacts and photos from the 1800’s. You will learn about the famous Parker Ranch, one of the oldest and largest ranches in the United States, pre-dating many mainland ranches in Texas and other southwestern states by more than 30 years!
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Parker Ranch, 66-1304 Mamalahoa Hwy, Waimea, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743-7503
Nearby, remains the original 1847 Parker house built with Hawaiian Koa wood, a species of tree now highly protected and costing upwards of $45 a board foot.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Tex Drive-In, 45-690 Pakalana St, Honokaa, HI 96727, USA
Continuing our northern adventure, we arrive at Tex Drive in for lunch. Serving up local Hawaiian food plus other popular menu items. Don’t forget to try their world-famous malasadas (a sweet, light and fluffy Portuguese donuts).
Duration: 40 minutes
Stop At: Laupahoehoe Beach Park, Lauphoehoe Point Rd Hi-19, Laupahoehoe, Island of Hawaii, HI 96764
Your next stop includes a drive down some of Hawaii's old highways and back roads bringing you to Lauphoehoe. As you view the breathtaking ocean vistas and breaking waves the story of Laupahoehoe will tell of its once industrious sugar plantation and its tragic past of a face to face encounter with a devastating tsunami.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Akaka Falls State Park, End of Akaka Falls Road Off Hwy 220, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96728
Next you will travel a stairway path through wild orchids, bamboo groves and draping ferns to view some of the Big Island's most beautiful waterfalls, including the famous 442ft Akaka and Kahuna Falls.
Duration: 25 minutes
Pass By: Onomea Bay, Island of Hawaii, HI
Traveling back onto an old coastal road we take you along the 4 mile scenic drive with lush topical flora, broken-down sea arch and a river running through a lava tube
Stop At: Kaumana Caves Park, Kaumana Drive Mile Marker 4, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI
Our next exciting experience brings us descending into Kaumana lava tube formed in 1800’s by our largest volcano, Mauna Loa. This hidden gem hosts a celling full of sparkling minerals, deep red iron floor and lava tube formations.
Duration: 20 minutes
Pass By: Saddle Road, Hawaii Highway 200, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI
Our route back to port takes us onto the old WWII road, known as the Saddle Road which passes between the two largest volcanoes in the world, Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. You will start to pass through diverse landscapes of cinder cones and sub-alpine dry forest. Our frequently wild life sightings include pigs, goats, sheep and donkeys.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 7 hours (Approx.)
- Bottle Water
- Umbrellas/rain ponchos
- Worry-free Shore Excursion
- Entry/Admission - Paniolo Heritage Center
- Entry/Admission - Parker Ranch
- Entry/Admission - Akaka Falls State Park
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Bring light jacket, sunglasses, hat, sunblock and camera
- Wear comfortable shoes and shorts
- Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Most travelers can participate
- Akaka Falls requires lots of steps. Lava Tube requires steps down and the ground is uneven.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
Average 4.20 out of 5 stars based on 5 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Very informative local guide, all in all a little too much time inside a van.
This particular tour was replaced due to interest. Really liked the Hilo tour better but our driver, guide was the same great guy
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities