Kona Shore Excursion: Kona History and Culture Tour
Step off your cruise and step back in time on this tour of historic Kona. On this cruise ship excursion, we share Kailua-Kona’s history to set the stage for your trip back in time to Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park – an ancient Hawaiian village of refuge for kapu (law) breakers.
We show you a beautiful scenic view overlooking Kealakekua Bay – an underwater preserve and where a monument to Captain Cook stands. Here, he sailed in and was received as the god, Lono, yet he proved to be a mere mortal and was slain. Visit the Painted Church – the tiny church Belgian priests painted to be a grand cathedral. Experience history as rich as the brew at the Kona coffee factory we visit as well.
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Great overview and orientation of the city
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park, 1871 Trail, Honaunau, Island of Hawaii, HI 96726
An ancient Hawaiian village of refuge. The Puuhonua protected the kapu breakers, defeated warriors, as well as civilians during the time of battle.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Kealakekua Bay State Historical Park, Puuhonua Rd, 82-6099 Puuhonua Rd, Island of Hawaii, HI
Captain Cook arrived here in 1779. Historical landmark views include the religious site Hikiau-heiau and Captain Cook’s monument across Kealakekua Bay.
Stop At: The Painted Church, 84-5140 Painted Church Rd, Captain Cook, Island of Hawaii, HI 96704-8409
Benedict’s Painted Church: Built between 1899-1902, Belgian priests painted this church to be a grand cathedral.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Royal Kona Coffee Center, 83-5427 Mamalahoa Hwy, Captain Cook, Island of Hawaii, HI 96704-8303
The largest roaster of Kona Coffee in the world. Experience history as rich as the brew at the Kona coffee factory.
Duration: 20 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 4 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 10:00 AM
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Professional guide
- Port pickup and drop off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- This shore excursion can only be booked by Norwegian Cruise Line Pride of America passengers, Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Sea passengers, and Carnival Spirit passengers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
Average 4.13 out of 5 stars based on 30 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Great Guide , visiting the refuge was the best part , a beautiful place enjoyed the history of this place , we were given plenty of time for this visit.
We also visited the Kona Coffee and the Painted Church.
Roberts tour guide was excellent!
We didn't get much of a tour of the coffee plantation. I did a coffee plantation Tour in Costa Rico, so I know what the bean cherry looks like on the bush and how all the layers are separated after the beans are dried out in the sun. All the free samples were tasty if you like coffee. The chocolate covered coffee beans were really good, too and I bought many packages of chocolate covered macadamia nuts as requested by my family...some milk chocolate and some dark chocolate. many varieties. No need for a stop at the Mona Laua -most popular brand on the mainland factory. I would have liked to see how they are processed. Fascinated by the prep- work required to make cashews into cocktail nuts. As seen in Malaysia...ever wonder why cashews are so expensive? Why you cannot buy them in the shell? workers wrap fingers with cling wrap because the nut meat is floating in a toxin liquid just inside the shell.
Excellent Tour. Well worth the cost. Beautiful location in Kona. History and culture were both found in one location. Excellent narration to and from the sites.
Lincoln our tour guide/ bus driver was great! We learned so much about Kona history. I highly recommend this tour!
The Historical Refuge Park is a must see and very relaxing. Most interesting was St Benedicts's Painted Church. Imagine a priest sent to this side of the island not knowing how to communicate with people then painted murals so they could understand him.
Very informative and enjoyable.
Working with Cool Destinations for any of my shore excursions has been a pleasure.
Great trip - just as advertised.
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities