Are you interested in?
Sorting, ranking, and search results
Elite Volcano Hike From Hilo
Elite Volcano Hike
Hike down into Kilauea Caldera on the 2 mile Halema’uma’u Trail, and visit aftermath of the historic 2018 eruption along Kilauea’s coastline. Visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park including Kilauea Visitor Center, Sulphur Banks, the Kilauea Iki Overlook, Volcano House and more. Small-group tour deli-style lunch and dinner included.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kaumana Caves Park, Kaumana Drive Mile Marker 4, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI
Our first stop is Kaumana Caves, part of the lava tube system that brought lava as close as 1.5 miles from downtown Hilo in 1881. Take a peek inside the dramatic cathedral-like space.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Volcano National Park, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Island of Hawaii, HI
Next travel to the crown jewel of the Big Island, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Briefly visit the Kilauea Iki Overlook before heading off on foot down the paved road to Keanakakoi. Check out the activity here from the historic 2018 eruption which buckled the road and caused racks and sinkholes. You’ll get a birds-eye view of the Kilauea Caldera and the enormous Halema’uma’u Crater, along with views of the trail you will take into the Caldera. This trail has been used to hike into the caldera since being established in 1846. Mark Twain was once rescued by native guide Alex Lancaster using this trail. It’s about 2 miles roundtrip taking you past the famous Sulphur Banks, through ancient forests of tree ferns, some as old as 1,000 years. Look for native birds, such as the yellow ‘amakihi and the red ‘apapane. Huge boulders came to rest here during ancient rock slides and eruptions. Look for marks left by previous visitors such as Benjamin Boyd, a Scot, and John Webster, a California artist, from back in 1851. Reaching the floor of Kilauea Calder there is an incredible rock slide to your left, evidence of the 2018 eruption, and Halema’uma’u Crater before you. The Crater increased in size during the eruption with the lava lake draining out of it leaving behind an enormous 1,000 foot deep pit.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Volcano House, Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park, 1 Crater Rim Drive, Pāhoa, HI 96718, USA
Return to civilization at Volcano House for some beautiful views.
Duration: 30 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Traveler pickup is offered. You will be asked for your location in the checkout and your booking confirmation will contain more details.
- Duration: 9 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 09:30 AM
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Entry/Admission - Kaumana Caves Park
- Entry/Admission - Volcano House
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 72 travelers
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Average 4.60 out of 5 stars based on 10 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call Us, Text Us, or Live Chat to speak with a Cool Big Island of Hawaii specialist!
Product code: C-5413P36
Similar Tours & Activities
Deluxe Snorkel & Dolphin Watch Aboard a Luxury Catamaran from Kailua-Kona
Hilo Private Tour : Just for your family or friends
Customers Who Bought This Tour Also Bought
Big Island in a Day: Volcanoes, Waterfalls, Sightseeing, History
Night Manta Ray Adventure on the Big Island, Hawaii
Manta Ray Night Snorkel