Are you interested in?
Sorting, ranking, and search results
Endangered Native Habitats
Get your binoculars ready for a small group adventure tour to Mauna Kea Forest Preserve for fantastic bird-watching opportunities. Visit both rainforest and dry forest habitats for a great introduction to Hawaii's wide variety of bird species, with guidance from an expert local guide and bird enthusiast.
Puu Oo Trail is a historic cattle drive route located at the 6,000 foot (1800 meters) level of Saddle Road on Mauna Loa's northeastern flank. This is the windward side of the island and is often cloaked in misty clouds. It is enchanting to be serenaded by the forest birds as you cross three to four miles (5-6 km) of lava trail. At the Humuula hunter check-in station just off Saddle Road, you'll go into the Kaohe Game Management Area and four-wheel up to nearly 7,000 feet (2,100 meters) on the western side of Mauna Kea.
Some of the avifauna you may spot along the way are iiwi, apapane, amakihi, omao, elepaio, and the elusive akiapolaau, with its unique multipurpose beak. In the dryforest, the track leads to a locked gate that is the entrance to the Mauna Kea Forest Preserve. Here, you'll have the opportunity to disembark from the van and take in the spectacular views. Then get down to some serious bird watching on foot in the mamane-naio forest.
You'll particularly focus on sighting the critically threatened palila, which feeds almost entirely on the green pods of the mamane tree. There are two other endemics of note to be found here: the Hawaii amakihi, and the local species of the Hawaii elepaio (noted for the white feathering on its head).
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Traveler pickup is offered. You will be asked for your location in the checkout and your booking confirmation will contain more details.
- Duration: 12 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: null
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Interpretative Naturalist Guide
- Filtered water
- Walking sticks
- Snacks, lunch and beverages
- Local taxes
- Central Meeting Locations for Pick-up & Drop off
- Entry/Admission - Kipuka Puaulu (Bird Park) Trail
- Entry/Admission - Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Entry/Admission - Saddle Road
- Entry/Admission - Mauna Kea
- Hotel pickup and drop off
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Guests should wear sturdy closed-toe walking shoes, long pants, and bring a light jacket
- This tour has a maximum of 9 passengers per van
- This tour requires a minimum number of passengers to operate. There is a possibility that the tour may be canceled after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be provided the option to take the tour on an alternative date or be refunded in full. It will be necessary for you to call 48 hours prior to your departure date to reconfirm (contact details provided on your confirmation voucher).
- Not recommended for child aged 7 and under
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- We have developed an approach that introduces a new standard of cleanliness and disinfection to ensure our guests enjoy an even cleaner and safer experience. Implementing strict protocols and using the latest disinfection technology, updated continuously to current State and Federal Guidelines.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
Average 5.00 out of 5 stars based on 6 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor
My son and I enjoyed this tour very much. We saw almost all of the native forest birds and a lot of the non-native ones too - 24 species. It was a slow birding day, but the guide worked really hard to get us sightings. The hiking about five miles and scenery were very nice as well. Breakfast and lunch were provided and really enhanced the day.
Knowledgeable trip leader, who was engaging and helpful when group members were slow. The areas were somewhat rugged, but the birds were inspiring and present. Our leader was also patient and helpful when group members had some initial difficulty sighting the birds. This experience is highly recommended.
Intended for serious birders but not necessarilly "twitchers". Everything is provided - meals, snacks, drinks, walking sticks, raingear (which we definitely needed in the rainforest !) and even binoculars if you don't have your own. Guide was very knowledgeable and knew where to find specific birds. Fair amount of hiking including quite a trek over a lava trail to the rainforest. Organised locally by Hawaii Forest and Trail.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call Us, Text Us, or Live Chat to speak with a Cool Big Island of Hawaii specialist!
Product code: C-2804RDBA
Similar Tours & Activities
Abalone Farm Tour
Hilo History and Legends Solo GPS APP Self Guided Walking Tour
Customers Who Bought This Tour Also Bought
Big Island in a Day: Volcanoes, Waterfalls, Sightseeing, History
Night Manta Ray Adventure on the Big Island, Hawaii
Manta Ray Night Snorkel