Discover Kamehameha's Birthplace & Plantation Village Tour (Kona, HI Day Tour)
*Visit an old plantation village.
*Learn about Kamehameha the great and where he grew up.
*See one of the most scenic points on the Big Island at Polulu Valley lookout and the upper Kohala Road.
Enjoy the day learning about Kamehameha the Great. Visit the site near his birthplace and enjoy some of the most beautiful places in Kohala and Kona districts. Drive to an old plantation village. Wander the beautiful shops and enjoy a delicious warm malasada or Hawaiian shave ice. Afterward, we drive to the birthplace of Kamehameha o ʻIolani i Kaiwikapu kauʻi Ka Liholiho Kūnuiākea later known as Kamehameha the Great. Take a scenic drive to the most northern point of the big island. Enjoy the majestic views. For more breathtaking scenes of this amazing island, we drive through Paniolo Country. Waimea, was the largest ranch in the U.S. Learn about the Hawaiian Cowboys (Paniolo's) and how they rounded up the cattle and put them on the ships.
Contact us for a Private Tour.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Pololu Valley Lookout, End of Hwy. 270, Island of Hawaii, HI 96755
Overview of the beautiful black sands of Pololu Valley. This scenic point is hiking optional (an additional hour or so) This is where Kamehameha the Great learned to surf.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Hawi, Hawi, Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
Visit the old plantation village of Hawi. Enjoy the beautiful koa sculptures, paintings, and wonderful shops that adorn this town.
Duration: 45 minutes
Pass By: Kohala Coast, Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
The awe-inspiring beauty of the Kohala Coast and upper Kohala Road.
Pass By: Waimea, Waimea, Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
Learn about Paniolo's (Hawaiian Cowboys) and how that a mere shipmate that jumped shipped became a millionaire and owned the largest ranch in the US. Visit Camp Tarawa. This is where the military (USMC) trained for Tarawa, Iwo Jima, more during WWII.
Stop At: Pu'ukohola Heiau, 62-3601 Kawaihae Rd, Kawaihae, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743-9720
An ancient temple built under the direction of Kamehameha 1. Another smaller older heiau below is also discussed.
Duration: 45 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Traveler pickup is offered. You will be asked for your location in the checkout and your booking confirmation will contain more details.
- Duration: 5 to 6 hours (Approx.)
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Pu'ukohola Heiau
- Alcoholic Beverages
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- We sanitize throughout the tour. Hands and vehicle
Still have questions?
Similar Tours & Activities