Slate Rock Trail Running Tour
Pisgah National Forest is the oldest of its kind in the eastern US. With over 500,000 acres and 1,600 miles of trail, some of the best overlooks and waterfalls are often overlooked. We will meet at Ecusta Brewing, then you will follow me to the trailhead, a ~30 minute scenic drive including a bit of dirt road. 2-wheel drive vehicles will have no problem, the road is well-maintained.
Starting at the trailhead, we will run a ~7 mile loop with 1,400' of vertical. The run parallels a beautiful mountain stream with several cascades, then climbs its way up to one of the best overlooks in the forest - Slate Rock. Towering over the Pink Beds Valley, the overlook includes views of nearby Pilot Rock and the distant high peaks of the Great Balsam Range. I would argue that the views are far better than John Rock, Cedar Rock, or even Looking Glass Rock. Its limited popularity is due mostly to its remoteness and difficulty to navigate due to several unmarked trails along the way.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Pisgah National Forest, Pisgah Forest, NC
Our trail running tour explores the Pilot Cove/Slate Rock area and includes several smaller waterfalls, beautiful flora, and one of the top slickrock vistas in the entire forest. From the overlook, we can see nearby Pilot Rock, Pink Beds Valley, and the Great Balsam Mountains in the distance.
Duration: 3 hours
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 3 to 4 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods.9/1/2019 - 9/22/2022
Monday: 07:00 AM - 08:00 PM Tuesday: 07:00 AM - 05:00 PM Wednesday: 07:00 AM - 08:00 PM Thursday: 07:00 AM - 08:00 PM Friday: 07:00 AM - 08:00 PM Saturday: 07:00 AM - 08:00 PM Sunday: 07:00 AM - 08:00 PM
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Handheld Water Bottle
- Running Gear
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate