6-Hour Chilkoot Trail Hike and Float and White Pass Summit Drive from Skagway
Explore the first two miles of the Chilkoot Trail with your naturalist river guide who will then row you down the scenic Taiya river in one of our stable 18' rafts. Once your float trip is complete, you'll enjoy a riverside snack and warm beverage. From here, we'll board back into the van and venture up the White Pass (north of Skagway) for sweeping views of towering mountains, glaciers and alpine lakes. We'll return back through U.S. customs and back to Skagway once we've made a photo stop at the "Welcome to Alaska" sign.
Your journey begins at the dock. After a safety orientation, board a van and drive through Skagway to the historic town of Dyea. Hike the first two miles of the scenic Chilkoot Trail, the centerpiece of gold rush history in Skagway. This world famous trail was the main route to the riches of the Klondike during the gold rush. Now a tranquil place of incredible beauty, the trail winds through a lush rainforest alive with birds, animals and wildflowers. Enjoy the exercise, fresh air, beautiful scenery, pristine forests, and history of a bygone era as the trail takes you up and over the 350′ Saintly Hill. Along the way, your guide weaves an entertaining mix of natural history and Klondike folklore. Photo opportunities abound as you retrace the footsteps of the gold-hungry stampeders who forged this route over 100 years ago.
Arrive at the banks of the Taiya River, where your 18-foot raft awaits for the scenic float (no whitewater) back to Dyea. The forest gives way to fields of beach greens and wild iris, and the granite walls of the fjords rise steeply to the snow-capped peaks and hanging glaciers. Enjoy a riverside snack of homemade cookies and a hot beverage with countless picture-perfect moments before loading up in the van and heading up to the White Pass summit.
We’ll drive for about 45 minutes from the take-out to the top of the scenic White Pass. There are many photo opportunities of beautiful alpine lakes, glaciers, towering snowcapped peaks and pristine forests.
After enjoying the spectacular scenery, we’ll return through the U.S. Border station and return to the town of Skagway.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Skagway, Skagway, Alaska
- Duration: 6 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 12:30 PM
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Professional guide
- Rubber boots
- PFD (personal flotation device)
- Rain poncho if needed
- Trekking poles
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-41951P2