5 Day Yosemite Backpacking – Three Summits/Three Sunsets
Summit three of Yosemite’s most iconic peaks over the course of three nights in the backcountry. Experience some of the park’s rugged wilderness along the way. Camp at the shore of May Lake at the base of Mount Hoffman (10,850’). Visit Yosemite’s largest lake (Tenaya) before hiking up to the Sunrise Lakes area where you will camp before tackling Clouds Rest (9,926’). Your adventure will culminate with the summit of Half Dome (8,836’) before returning to Yosemite Valley on the Mist Trail passing two spectacular waterfalls. This trip’s strenuous itinerary is well worth it! If you’re looking for an authentic Yosemite experience, this is the adventure for you!
Cancellations are governed by our standard cancellation policy. See our website for details.
Day 1: Day 1
Stop At: Yosemite Valley, 9035 Village Dr, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389-9912
Meet your guide in Half Dome Village at 3:00 PM. Get acquainted with the group and with gear. If time allows before dinner, walk to some of the Valley’s iconic destinations. Eat dinner at one of the park’s numerous restaurants. (Food in the front-country is not included.) Camp in the Yosemite Valley Backpacker’s Camp.
Duration: 9 hours
No meals included on this day.
Accommodation included: Yosemite Valley Backpackers Camp
Day 2: Day 2
Stop At: May Lake Trail, Tioga Road, Yosemite National Park, CA
After grabbing breakfast in Half Dome Village, take the morning shuttle to the trailhead near Tenaya Lake. Catch your first glimpse of the high country while hiking 3.3 moderate miles up to May Lake (9,329′). After setting up camp along the lake’s shore, hike the four miles roundtrip to the top of Mount Hoffman (10,850′). Mount Hoffman is the geographical center of Yosemite National Park and was also John Muir’s favorite summit view. Also at this location: swimming, relaxing, and taking in an amazing sunset on the secret bluff which looks east across the Yosemite high country.
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Backcountry camping at May Lake
Day 3: Day 3
Stop At: Sunrise Lakes, Tioga road, Yosemite National Park, CA
Hike back down to Tioga Road and then up to the Sunrise Lakes. Cool off in the cold alpine water before catching another spectacular sunset. Approximately a 5.7 mile hike and 1,100′ elevation gain.
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Backcountry Camping at Sunrise Lakes
Day 4: Day 4
Stop At: Cloud's Rest, Tioga Road Yosemite Valley, Yosemite National Park, CA
After a hearty breakfast hike approximately 3.5 miles to the summit of Clouds Rest at 9,926′. Enjoy lunch at the top while soaking in panoramic views of Yosemite’s wilderness. From the summit, hike down 5 miles to Sunrise Creek for the final night of camping.
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Backcountry camping at Sunrise Creek
Day 5: Day 5
Stop At: Half Dome, Yosemite National Park, CA
Wake early and hike 2.5 miles to top of Half Dome at 8,836′ (carrying only lightweight daypacks). Take in the views and descend the 2.5 miles back to camp before hiking out another 5.5 miles to Yosemite Valley via the Mist Trail. En route, experience two of the park’s most spectacular waterfalls. Our goal is typically to be finished between 2:00 and 3:00 PM if not sooner.
Duration: 15 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Half Dome Village Parking, Yosemite Valley, CA 95389, USA
- Duration: 5 days (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 3:00 PM
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- 3x Breakfast
- 3x Dinner
- 4x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 4 nights
- Entry/Admission - May Lake Trail
- Entry/Admission - Sunrise Lakes
- Entry/Admission - Cloud's Rest
- Entry/Admission - Half Dome
- Dinner on Day 1 and Breakfast on Day 2
- Guide Gratuities
- Entry/Admission - Yosemite Valley
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-7011P12
Similar Tours & Activities