4 Day Yosemite Backpacking – Glacier Point to Half Dome
Looking for an incredible Half Dome backpacking trip? This trip will make the experience unforgettable! Begin the adventure at Glacier Point (Yosemite’s number one attraction) with panoramic views of the Sierra Nevada high country. Quickly lose the crowds by descending into the Illilouette Valley and setting up camp along the creek. On Day three hike around the base of Mt. Starr King to Little Yosemite Valley, passing by the precipice of Nevada Fall along the way. If we are unable to summit Half Dome this afternoon for a sunset; we will take in the sunrise the next morning. Return to Yosemite Valley along the famous Mist Trail soaking in both Nevada and Vernal Falls. This is one of our most popular Yosemite backpacking trips for good reason!
Cancellations are governed by our standard cancellation policy. See our website for details.
Day 1: Meeting Day
Stop At: Yosemite Valley, 9035 Village Dr, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389-9912
Meet your guide in Half Dome Village at 3:00 PM. Get acquainted with the group and with gear. If time allows before dinner, visit some of the Valley’s walkable destinations. Grab dinner at one of park’s numerous restaurants. (Food is not provided while in the front-country.) End the day by camping in the Yosemite Valley Backpacker’s Camp.
Duration: 9 hours
No meals included on this day.
Accommodation included: Overnight at the Yosemite Valley Backpackers Campground
Day 2: Glacier Point
Stop At: Glacier Point, Yosemite Lodge Resort origin, Yosemite National Park, CA
We will head over to Yosemite Lodge for breakfast and to catch the 10:00 AM bus to Glacier Point (7,214′). After taking in the views at Glacier Point, we will descend down into Illilouette Valley. After 3.7 mostly easy downhill miles (only one short climb of about 200′) we will cross the Illilouette Creek and camp at a knoll along the water. If the sky is cloudless, experience an incredible show of stars! Total mileage: 3.8.
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Camping along the beautiful Illilouette Creek in Yosemite.
Day 3: Little Yosemite Valley
Stop At: Little Yosemite Valley, Merced River, Yosemite National Park, CA
After a hearty breakfast we will hike out of the Illilouette Valley on a moderate uphill and scenic climb to the Panorama Trail before descending to the precipice of Nevada Fall and ultimately Little Yosemite Valley at 6040′ where we will camp for the night. There is a beach along the Merced River here that makes for excellent relaxation. Total mileage: 5.5.
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Camping in Little Yosemite Valley, Yosemite's premier backcountry camping location.
Day 4: Half Dome
Stop At: Half Dome, Yosemite National Park, CA
Half Dome will be completed either in the afternoon on Day 3 to catch the sunset, or the following morning with an alpine start to catch the sunrise. This is a strenuous uphill of 3.5 miles to the summit at 8,836′. Roundtrip mileage: 7.0
We will descend to the Yosemite Valley Floor (4,000′) via the Mist Trail which parallels the Merced River and both Nevada and Vernal Falls. Total mileage: 4.5
Typically, our goal is to finish between 2-4 PM.
Duration: 14 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Half Dome Village Parking, Yosemite Valley, CA 95389, USA
- Duration: 4 days (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 3:00 PM
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- 2x Breakfast
- 2x Dinner
- 2x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 3 nights
- Entry/Admission - Glacier Point
- Entry/Admission - Little Yosemite Valley
- Entry/Admission - Half Dome
- Entry into Yosemite National Park
- Dinner on Day 1 and Breakfast on Day 2
- Guide Gratuities
- Entry/Admission - Yosemite Valley
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 5 travelers
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-7011P11