3-hour Electric Bike tour, 17-Mile Drive, Monterey Bay Coastal Rec Trail
Legendary for it's beauty, 17-mile Drive meanders up and down the hills of Pebble Beach, past amazing mansions and it's famous golf courses. We wind our way along the rugged coastline and through thick cypress groves, stopping at all the amazing viewpoints. Our local guides share their knowledge of the area's unique ocean wildlife and iconic landmarks...the Lone Cypress, Point Pinos Lighthouse, Lover's Point, Asilomar Beach.
23 mi. round trip, approx 3 hrs. Min. height 4'10"; Max. weight 350lb.
Alternating between separated bike lanes & road shared with vehicles (25 mph speed limit), we recommend "youth" riders be ages 16+ to ride solo. Parents may book a bike for ages 13+ if their child is experienced enough to ride on a 25 mph road shared with vehicles.
The "child" rate is for children between 40 lb. & 120 lb. riding tandem with a parent on a RadWagon bike.
Meet 15 minutes before tour time of 10:30 a.m. or 2:30 p.m. at Big Sur Adventures on the porch of the American Tin Cannery, 125 Ocean View Blvd., Ste 122, Pacific Grove, CA.
After we fit you with a helmet, we give a tutorial on the e-bikes and have everyone practice a bit before beginning our tour along the Monterey Bay Coastal Recreational Trail towards Lover's Point Park. We start out at 10 mph and stop after a few minutes to share some history and to make sure everyone has the e-bikes down. At Lover's Point Park our slow introduction to the bikes on the Coastal Trail ends and we hop on the road where there is a 25 mph speed limit. Here we typically ride at 15-20 mph depending on the comfort level of the slowest rider. After about 1 mile, the road adds a separate bike lane that continues for most of our ride.
We stop briefly at key viewpoints such as the John Denver Memorial, the Point Pinos Lighthouse, & Asilomar Beach, where our guide shares fun history of the area. We continue from there into Pebble Beach stopping at various viewpoints such as Spanish Bay & Bird Rock (where we take a restroom break). At Bird Rock, any riders not comfortable with riding 20 mph with traffic can hike a bit while the rest of the group continues on past Fanshell Beach and Cypress Point to the Lone Cypress and Ghost Tree.
Our guide turns around there, but a few excited riders who love to ride fast will continue on a few more miles to Pebble Beach Lodge or Carmel. From there we ride steadily back, stopping at Bird Rock again for a restroom break. Typically we return to the Big Sur Adventures Shop 3 hrs after the tour start time, though if all riders agree through the trip, we often stretch that.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Big Sur Adventures, in the American Tin Cannery. 1/4 Mile from the Monterey Bay Aquarium, look for us on the porch directly across the street from Hopkin's Marine Station.
- Duration: 150 to 210 minutes (Approx.)
- Bottled water
- The listed price does not include parking fee
- We can validate 2 hrs free parking in the American Tin Cannery lot off of Eardley Ave.
- Tour bus parking available on David Avenue and Foam St
- Metered street parking on Ocean View Avenue is $1.50/hr
- Free street parking available 1/4 mile down Ocean View Avenue towards Lover's Point Park.
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- All riders must sign a waiver
- Minors must have a waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian (can be signed electronically)
- Child rate applies only when riding tandem with a paying adult
- Minimum solo rider height: 4'10"
- Maximum rider weight 350 lb.
- Max tandem child weight: 120 lb.
- Max combined rider/child tandem weight 350 lb.
- A maximum of 25 people per booking
- Photo I.D. required
- Can be chilly along the Ocean, please dress appropriately
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to rain, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
We have done lots of tours all around the world, and this one ranks in the top 3 for overall enjoyment.
The bikes are fun to ride, the weather in Monterey was perfect and the tour guide (Jon) was filled with wonderful bits of information about the area.
Had a great time with Justin on the Monterey coast on our electric bikes. This is a great way for all to see the area up close and be outdoors. The electric bikes were easy to use and made our ride very enjoyable.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-70275P1