2-Day Napa-Sonoma Wine Tour With Alcatraz Night Tour and Aquarium of The Bay
With this San Francisco combo tour, visit Alcatraz Island by ferry during an evening cruise, and take an audio walking tour of the infamous former prison and get all-day access to the Aquarium of the Bay. Then head for the hills of Napa and Sonoma for a full day of wine tasting the following day. In tranquil wine country, you’ll taste award-winning Sonoma and Napa Valley varietals at four to six wineries, plus enjoy a gourmet picnic. This day trip by bio-diesel minibus also includes a vineyard tram tour at Benziger Family Winery to learn about bio-dynamic wine making.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Fully narrated tour
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Lunch included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Day 1: Alcatraz tour
Your Alcatraz ticket will be arranged for the evening of the first day of your two day package (approximately 6:30pm for the night tour). Taking the ferry to Alcatraz will afford you amazing views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Angel Island, Alcatraz Island, and the San Francisco city skyline from the north. When you land on the island, you’ll get a short history of Alcatraz, and then head up into the prison!
You’ll be equipped with an audio tour titled “Doing Time”, in which you’ll hear interviews from former inmates and learn more history about Alcatraz (available in 11 languages). The Alcatraz Night Tour also includes special interpretive tours and access to areas of the island that are closed during the day. You may explore for as long as you want (the ferry departs for the mainland approximately every 30-40 minutes). The tour generally takes people about two and a half hours.
Then, head over to the Aquarium of the Bay and use your all-day access pass. With a focus on education, conservation, and entertainment, it is the ONLY aquarium dedicated to the diverse marine life and distinctive ecosystems of the San Francisco Bay and its watershed.
Day 2: Wine country tour
Your 10-hour day trip starts with hotel pickup in San Francisco. Head out of town with your guide aboard a bio-diesel minibus. As you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, enjoy panoramic views of San Francisco Bay and the city skyline. Making your way north to wine country, travel past Mt Tamalpais before arriving in Sonoma County, a region of vineyards planted along rolling hills and valleys that supply the world with renowned wines. Your first stop is Benziger Family Winery, where you'll hop on a tram for up-close views of the vineyards, fermentation facility and crush pad. This 45-minute tram tour allows you to follow the wine making process from roots to glass while you learn how wine is aged, bottled and distributed.
Back in the tasting room, enjoy the fruits of these labors with a tasting of Benziger's award-winning wines, and then take a walk through the barrel caves to learn about bio-dynamic viticulture, an increasingly popular process that uses organic methods of farming without the use of pesticides and other artificial chemicals. Before you leave, you'll settle down to a deli lunch on a private picnic area. You'll have the option to indulge on a turkey, roast beef, ham, or vegetarian sandwich, accompanied by a pasta salad, piece of fruit, and cookie.
In the afternoon, travel over to neighboring Napa County to continue wine tasting at three to five more wineries in Oakville, Yountville or in the city of Napa itself. On trip back to San Francisco, make a photo stop in the Marin Headlands above the Golden Gate Bridge before ending your day trip with hotel drop-off.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Winery tour departs from most San Francisco hotels; Alcatraz ferries depart from Pier 33
- Duration: 2 days (Approx.)
- Return Details: Winery tour returns to original departure point at approximately 6pm; Alcatraz ferries return to Pier 33
- Hotel pickup and drop-off for winery tour
- Transport by bio-diesel minicoach for winery tour
- Tram tour at Benziger Family Winery
- Select wine tastings
- Benziger winery guided tram tour ($30 value)
- Alcatraz Island ticket ($39.90 USD value)
- All-day access to the Aquarium of the Bay
- Hotel pickup and drop-off for Alcatraz tour
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Additional tasting fees may apply
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum age for wine tasting is 21 years
- Please specify which sandwich option you would like for lunch in the Special Requirements section at time of booking
- Alcatraz info
- For security purposes, a government-issued photo ID is required for all guests to board the Alcatraz ferry
- Alcatraz audio tour is available in English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Mandarin, Portuguese and Korean
- You may leave Alcatraz Island at any time; ferries depart every 30 to 40 minutes; the last departing ferry is usually 6:30pm
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-3454WALCATRAZN
Similar Tours & Activities