2.5-Hour Taiya River Scenic Float from Skagway
After meeting your experienced guide, enjoy a beautiful 10-mile drive along the rugged coast of the fjord to the Dyea Valley, an old Gold Rush settlement, and starting point of the historic Chilkoot Trail, now returned to nature. During the drive, you may spot bald eagles or seals feeding near the shoreline. You will stop to see the start of the Chilkoot Trail, where thousands journeyed in pursuit of gold during the turn of the century.
Once you arrive at the rafts, your professionally trained boatman will outfit you with a life jacket and rubber boats. As you float down the gentle Taiya River, your guide will point out any wildlife, talk about the local natural history, and tell stories of the area’s fascinating Gold Rush history while you enjoy the gorgeous river and mountain views. After the float, you’ll enjoy a riverside snack.
Dyea is a peaceful getaway from bustling Skagway and a perfect opportunity to feel like a part of the great Alaskan outdoors.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Chilkoot Trail, Alaska
0:00 – 0:45 – Pick-up from Dock. Meet your guide and sign required release form. Board tour vehicle and enjoy a narrated drive to Chilkoot Trail trailhead, Dyea, Alaska
0:45 – 1:00 – Arrive at the Taiya River put-in site. Put on rubber boots and life jackets (ponchos are provided for inclement weather). Receive a safety briefing from your guide prior to rafting.
1:00 – 1:30 – Scenic Float down the Taiya River (no whitewater)
1:30 – 1:45 – Enjoy a cookie snack and hot drink at the river’s edge
1:45 – 2:15 – Board the tour vehicle for a scenic return drive from Dyea to Skagway.
Duration: 2 hours
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Skagway, AK 99840, USA
- Duration: 2 hours (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Professional guide
- Rubber boots
- PFD (personal floation device)
- Rain poncho if needed
- Cruise ship pickup and drop-off
- River float
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 7 years
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-41951P12
Similar Tours & Activities