2.5 Hour Guided Tour of Monument Valley
This is a 28/45 km, 2.5 hour guided tour that includes the major scenic points and also The Backcountry monuments in Monument Valley. The Backcountry portion of the tour includes arches and ancient Petroglyphs from the Anasazi people.
The 2.5 hour tour makes a first stop at the famous John Ford’s Point where many of John Wayne’s western cinematic movies were film, and also the Transformers: Age of Extinction featuring Mark Wahlberg. Next, your guide will drive to The Backcountry of the park and escort you to the “Sun’s Eye Arch.”
At “Sun’s Eye Arch” you will be standing at a specific degree to look up into the rock arch and see why it is named Sun’s Eye. At the same location you will also see Petroglyphs and hear your guide’s stories.
Next, you will travel to the “Big Hogan.” The Big Hogan is a great place to take family pictures and lie against the rocks and feel its warmth. Your guide will provide stories and suggest great photo shots.
The last stop in the Backcountry is the “Ear of the Wind.” This is the largest arch in the park, and your guide will escort you to a photogenic spot where you can take photographs.
Next, you will be guided to the Totem Pole and Yei Bi Cheii Monuments where you will be able to take photographs and hear the cultural stories behind each monument.
The last stop is at the North Window where you will have a chance to take pictures of the Mittens and Butte at a different angle. Your tour guide will then slowly and safely transport you back to your departure point.
Our guides have been praised for describing and explaining their stories to our friends. Our guides are local and friendly people who are First Aid and CPR certified. We do offer water for our customers but you are also encouraged to bring your own snacks and other necessities.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: The View Hotel, Indian Rte 42, Oljato-Monument Valley, AZ 84536, USA
- Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Bottled water
- Hop-on hop-off tour
- Transport by open-air Safari vehicle
- Entrance fee to the Monument Valley Tribal Park
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- We do observe Daylight Savings TIme. We are on Mountain Standard Time (UT). Be advised that there is a one hour time difference between Arizona Time Zone and the Navajo Nation Time Zone (Mid-March to October).
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Pet friendly
- NOT responsible for lost or stolen items (cameras, phones, wallets, passports, etc.) while on the tour. Please only bring items you need to make your tour more comfortable (jackets, cameras, snacks, etc.)
- GROUP TOUR ONLY. NON-PRIVATE TOURS. All tours depart from The View Hotel VIsitor's Lobby.
- Service animals allowed
- Most travelers can participate
This tour was fabulous. Our guide, Yvonne, a young Navajo women, was engaging and very informative. We were very grateful for the face masks she provided as it was the beginning of the “sandy season.” It was interesting to go beyond the areas where you can go without a guide and hear detailed descriptions and information about the various areas, as well as info about the Navajo people.
Definitely worth having the tour! You get to see places not open to the public, including ancient petroglyphs and places used in movies. Our guide Joseph gave interesting history and commentary on Navajo culture and traditions, as well as some very cool photo ideas! Highly recommended.
Our guide was very knowledgeable, friendly, and accommodating. His knowledge of the history of the valley and the ancients who lived there helped us appreciate the culture. All around, it was a great experience!
Ari is an excellent guide.
Nice viewpoints of the Valley.
Well maintained horses.
Recommended tour company.
Our guide, Derek, was outstanding! His knowledge of the area is excellent. He taught us a great deal about Navajo tradition.
Tour was brilliant, and we couldn't fault our guide. He knew so much and was very approachable. Would definitely recommend booking
This was a once in a lifetime experience. Derek, our Navajo guide, went out of this way to make this a memorable trip. He was incredibly informative about the Valley, and he also gave us a wealth of fascinating information about his people and their culture. He took us to areas of the Valley that most tourists will not see. He's also a great flute player! You will not regret this trip. Be warned, it's a bumpy ride and it can be very cold early in the morning. Layer your clothing.
Really enjoyed our 2.5 hour tour with Derrick. He shared his cultural heritage with us showed us sites in a restricted area. Only natives can go there. We hot a weaving lesson
The original intent for this trip was to visit sites used in John Wayne movies. However, our tour guide Joe, made this one of our most memorable vacation experiences. We learned so much about the American Indian culture past and present. Our tour stops were well described as to what we were observing. As we moved from site to site Joe shared information that resulted in us having greater awareness of what the Navajo have experienced and how the culture impacts current generations. We actually hated to leave Monument Valley. I highly recommend this experience.
There is nothing like taking in the breathtaking and iconic views of Monument Valley as having a great tour guide. We had the awesome tour guide of Mark and on a scale of 1-5 I will rate him 10!
His knowledge and friendliness made his seem like family. I will highly recommend him and this tour to anyone. He played a Mojave flute music for us under one of the historic landforms which was stunning. His driving of the vehicle was also great.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-32307P2
Similar Tours & Activities