1-Hour Guided Carriage Tour of Charleston’s Historic District
There is no better way to experience the charm and beauty of old Charleston than by horse and carriage! This 1-hour guided tour will take you through centuries of Charleston's history and culture. Pass by some of the most beautiful and historic neighborhoods the city has to offer.
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Fully narrated tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
When it is time for the tour to begin, you will be picked up by a clean, sturdy, and comfortable carriage being pulled by a beautiful Percheron draft horse. All the carriages are covered, so you won't have to worry about getting too much sun.
Once everyone is on board, the tour will begin in the Historic Charleston City Market and will then cover about 20 to 30 blocks of the residential historic district. The tour will cover the history of Charleston and the Lowcountry, from the founding of the colony in 1670 on through to the modern city, which has been named one of the top travel destinations in the world.
The tour will be narrated by an expert in local history, and will provide you with a wealth of information and better understanding of Charleston's pivotal role in the history of the American nation.
The tour will end at the Old Brick Barn on Guignard Street, the oldest active stable in the city of Charleston. You are welcome to explore the barn after the tour, and you can even say hello to your horse while he gets his water break.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: The Old Brick Barn OR Green Carriage
- Duration: 1 hour (Approx.)
- Return Details: Tour ends at The Old Brick Barn
- Live commentary on board
- Professional guide/driver
- One hour carriage tour of the historic district
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please dress appropriately for the weather. The tour may be cancelled if the weather is deemed to be unsafe (thunder and lightning), or if the temperature is over 95 degrees
- Due to the fact that we are working with horses and booking times may fluctuate, please make sure you check in at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time
- Children 3 and under can ride on a lap for free
- You are welcome to bring drinks (non-alcoholic) on the carriage
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
Average 4.60 out of 5 stars based on 5 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor.
We had a wonderful ride. Our guide was so knowledgeable and had a great rapport with the horse. Bill. She was polite interesting and articulate. The barn was not easy to find tho!
We had a wonderful time on our carriage ride . Our guide was exciting and excited to tell us about Charleston. He was full of energy which made people listen to his ever word. Don t remember his name but his Mom is a Veterinarian .
Apparently, there are so many carriage tours that each tour is given a route determined by lottery. I don't think we got a very good route. I will also say that all of the employees love the horses and the animals are treated very well.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-59841P3