1 day tour from Oahu to Big Island – Mauna Kea Summit & Volcanoes National Park
Explore our Once-in-lifetime exclusive tour that you can’t find anywhere else. Two of the planet’s most spectacular landscapes on Big Island, Mauna Kea, and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, can now be visited on the same day from Oahu island with our Prime Grand Big Island 1 Day Tour. This 190-miles small group tour is a magnificent experience to explore the wonders of Hawaii volcanoes national park and the grandeur of Mother Nature of Mauna Kea in a day. You can explore the clouds and an endless sky at the top of Mauna Kea and discover the myths surrounding what is currently known to be the world’s largest active volcano. This day tour also includes fascinating attractions on the Big Island like Kona Coffee Farm, Saddle Road, Rainbow Falls, and Hilo town.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mauka Meadows, 75-5476 Mamalahoa Hwy, Holualoa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96725-9624
Visit the home of world-famous Kona coffee. Holualoa and surrounding villages are full of farmers who grow Kona coffee. You will visit and explore a famous coffee farm. Giving visitors a full feeling of the tropical farm tour with a unique pavilion, variety of fruit trees, Macadamia nuts, fountain, coffee plants, and tropical Flower Gardens. When you arrive at the pavilion, you can taste a cup of Kona coffee. The aroma of freshly roasted coffee is incredibly thick. It is a nice place for taking photos with a big infinity pool and the beautify background scenery of the Pacific Ocean.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Saddle Road, Hawaii Highway 200, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii Route 200, the Daniel K. Inouye Highway, also called Saddle Road is one of the most spectacular scenic roads in Hawaii. Saddle road approximately 53 miles long is famous to locals for its myth behind this scenic road which located between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, the two largest volcanoes in Hawaii. There are no houses, gas stations or shop. This road crosses lava flows and you will see numerous up-slope cones around the lava field. The road also features beautiful volcanic rocks and trees so you will be awed throughout the ride on this road as every second is picturesque.
Stop At: Onizuka Center for International Astronomy Visitor Information Station, Mauna Kea Access Rd, Hilo, HI, USA
Located at 9,200 feet (2,800 meters) on Mauna Kea Access Road of Mauna Kea Mountain, Onizuka Center for International Astronomy Visitor Information Station provides health and safety information and education about Mauna Kea. All visitors are strongly advised to spend at least half an hour to adapt to the lower air pressure and lower the level of elevation to reduce the possibility of suffering altitude sickness. Drinking water, coffee, cup noodles, snacks, and souvenirs are available. You can buy warm clothes like jackets, long pants, gloves and hats for cold weather on the summit. You can also watch a video about astronomy.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Mauna Kea Summit, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI
Mauna Kea summit is one of the world’s bucket list and considered the best places to observe celestial bodies on earth. There is the largest astronomical observatory in the world; 13 astronomical observatory facilities operated in 11 different countries. At Mauna Kea summit, you will experience the beauty of nature and sky that stretches endlessly and feel like you are above the clouds. Mauna Kea is a dormant volcano with the highest point in Hawaii has an altitude of 13,796 ft (4,205m) above sea level; however, considering most of Mauna Kea is under water-from the oceanic base to the tip of Mauna Kea measures 33,500 ft- it is actually taller than Mount Everest with a height of 29,029 feet (8,848 meters). Don’t miss out on your chance to see once-in-a-lifetime experience of discovering the most mysterious natural beauty and the world’s greatest astronomical observatory.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Volcano National Park, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Island of Hawaii, HI
Kilauea is one of the most active volcanoes on planet erupted last year. The world's largest active volcano creates a stunning view from volcanic eruptions, creating a rare geological figure. You will witness the spectacle of a recent volcanic eruption and an incredible view of the active volcano. You will visit volcanic craters and steam vents and explore the wonders of nature. Volcanic National Park consists of a vast area of 230,000 acres including Mt. Mauna Loa (4,170 meters) and Mt. Kilauea (1,247 meters). These two active volcanoes are the world's most popular tourist attractions to visit. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is deemed to be one of the must-see places in Hawaii. It was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987.
Duration: 1 hour 20 minutes
Stop At: Rainbow Falls, Waianuenue Avenue, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720
It is the place where rainbows are often seen in the 80 feet (about 25meters) high magnificent waterfalls above the lava cave. Also, you can observe the waterfall closely and enjoy a pond and a walk up the stairs to the behind of the waterfall which provides a short hike to the top. Just like the name, often see rainbows in this waterfall. If you are lucky on a sunny day, you might see a rainbow appears in a waterfall 80 feet long which give a fantastic view to take the photo.
Duration: 20 minutes
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Airport Upper Level (Interisland Terminal), Honolulu, HI 96819, USA
Traveler pickup is offered
- Duration: 14 to 15 hours (Approx.)
- Departure Time: Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods.7/15/2019 - 10/15/2021
Monday: 06:00 AM - 07:00 PM
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Warm parka jacket
- R/T Hotel Pick up service from (Only from) Waikiki, Oahu Island
- R/T airfare from & to Oahu- Big Island
- Lunch - We will be providing sandwiches. If you have any dietary restriction, please let us know.
- Entry/Admission - Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- R/T hotel pick-up service is not included from outside of Waikiki
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Mauna Kea Summit often closes at nights or sometimes even in the afternoons due to harsh weather conditions or construction. If this is the case, we will be replacing Mauna Kea Summit with Mauna Kea Visitor Center, Chain of Crater and Holei Sea Arch in the trip.
- You must have your government issued ID or passport on the day of the tour at the airport.
- Not recommended for traveler with respiratory problems
- Minimum age is 16 years
- Not recommended older than 65 years
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- Person who have been Scuba Diving in the last 24 hours cannot book this tour
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
Average 4.00 out of 5 stars based on 1 verified reviews from Cool Destinations and TripAdvisor.
Our 1-day tour from Oahu to the Big Island was good -- not bad, but not excellent. Our departure boarding passes were emailed to us, and we left Oahu and got to the Big Island with no trouble at all. Had a slight bit of confusion as to where we were to meet up with Malcolm, our guide, but we worked it out within 10 minutes. Malcolm was great and very informative -- friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.
The only "downside" of the tour is that it was pretty expensive for what you get. The tour consisted basically of a 30-minute visit to a small fruit / coffee bean farm; a VERY long drive up Mauna Kea; a 20-minute stop on the summit; a VERY long drive back down the mountain and over to Hilo; a 15-minute stop at Rainbow Falls; and a good two-hour trip through the National Park; then to the Hilo airport -- in 9 hours! Lunch was self-purchased Subway sandwiches eaten at a picnic table on the way up the mountain. Again, not the tour's fault -- that's all there is. But essentially, most of the trip was spent driving. You do get to see a lot of the island that way, but we would have liked to see the national monuments on the Northwest side of the island and there was no time.
Tour company was very informative, very helpful, and very courteous. Tour guide Malcolm was excellent. But again, the price was a lot for really the only "high point" being the National Park. It would help if the program description provided more information on what the day's itinerary actually would be.
Overall, a good tour - a bit pricey, but courteousness of tour company was excellent.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814-2665 to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-123830P2
Similar Tours & Activities